Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge

Joining the Body By Vi challenge that my friend Katina is promoting with the hope of losing 20 lbs in 7 weeks and 63 lbs by next December when I stand next to my friend Christi as her Maid of Honor! Katina is down 44 lbs so far. Two meals will be replaced with a shake each day. Luckily I can add fruit and spinach to it to make it more filling. :) I believe the ShapeKit is $100 and covers 2 meals a day for 30 days so I will only have to cook once a day. My debit card will be staying at home once my shake mix arrives so I won't cheat and eat out. Shakes, fruit, veggies, and whole grains for 7 weeks, excluding the time on the cruise :) I will still have the shakes but I will eat other stuff also. I am going to do 3 meals a day and 2 snacks so I won't have to fight off hunger and give in to temptations.

Hoping it will work for me. I want to proudly stand beside my friend at 145 lbs. :)

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Before you spend the money, consider just doing this through exercise and eating real food. You can easily lose 63 pounds by next December if you follow MFP's calorie goals for yourself to lose 1 pound per week. I lost over 50 pounds in a year by sticking to this program. Shakes are not a sustainable way of life. After you get to 145 is your plan to stay on the shakes or go back to real food? Which would be easier in the long term? If you go the next year eating real food and losing weight, once you go to maintain life will be a lot easier because you will have learned proper portions.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    This sounds like a sales pitch!

Body by Vi is simply another pyramid scheme. There is no substitute for exercise and proper nutrition.
  • mercergirl2008
    mercergirl2008 Posts: 63 Member
    After the 90 day challenge I will go down to one shake a day without the Body by Vi additive. I enjoy shakes for breakfast versus consuming real meals so I will sustain that and snack on fruit throughout the day. Salads for lunch and then I will be cooking at home for dinner. I'm a vegetarian transitioning to a 80% RAW Vegan lifestyle. I like cooked food too much to give it up completely.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Before you spend the money, consider just doing this through exercise and eating real food. You can easily lose 63 pounds by next December if you follow MFP's calorie goals for yourself to lose 1 pound per week. I lost over 50 pounds in a year by sticking to this program. Shakes are not a sustainable way of life. After you get to 145 is your plan to stay on the shakes or go back to real food? Which would be easier in the long term? If you go the next year eating real food and losing weight, once you go to maintain life will be a lot easier because you will have learned proper portions.

This. Shakes are okay for occasional meal replacement, but 2 a day is ridiculous. Please reconsider your approach. Eat real food in healthy amounts (don't under eat) and get a good mix of strength and cardio. You can do this without the shortcuts!
  • mercergirl2008
    I'm not selling anything. She mentioned it to me and to support her I agreed to try it for 90 days. You buy it in 30 day packages so if I don't like it after the first 30 days I won't continue to order it. I just want to see if it will work for me. Honestly I believe I could probably do the same thing with a vitamix, fresh fruit and veggies, and special powders. People do it everyday but I am trying it to support my friend.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    FYI - fad diets aren't accepted much around these boards. Good food and exercise will do more than a quick fix
  • mercergirl2008
    I snack throughout the day on fruit and veggies so I don't think it would be too crazy. At one point I would get up juice or blend something for breakfast, have fruit for a snack, salad for lunch, another fruit snack, and then brown rich with veggies or some other whole grain with veggies for dinner.

The Body by Vi shakes are temporary.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I'm not selling anything. She mentioned it to me and to support her I agreed to try it for 90 days. You buy it in 30 day packages so if I don't like it after the first 30 days I won't continue to order it. I just want to see if it will work for me. Honestly I believe I could probably do the same thing with a vitamix, fresh fruit and veggies, and special powders. People do it everyday but I am trying it to support my friend.

I don't think that the person who mentioned a sales pitch thought you were trying to sell it, but that you were being given a sales pitch. People absolutely have success with it, but all I ask is that you consider the long term. You can buy a higher quality protein powder to add to your own shakes and smoothies and have the same results as you have already said above.
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    I had a bag of this shake mix and I will caution you that it does have artifical sweetners in it. I would buy a protein mix that doesn't have so many additives in it.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Mercygirl, I have never tried shakes to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck in however you want to try to lose weight. Everybody on this thread needs to be supportive to each other and not tell someone they should not be on this thread. Everyone has different opinions and that is my opinion.:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    There are much cheaper ways to lose weight rather than investing in a pyramid scheme, but if you feel that it's necessary then go for it. You could eat real food at the same caloric content and lose weight the same way instead of having shakes day in and day out. I'd highly suggest not doing a diet and picking something that you can actually stick with for life. It's a huge waste of money and I would hate drinking a billion shakes a week, but to each his own.

Either way, good luck!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member

It sounds to me like you have a pretty healthy diet plan, especially looking into Vegan and raw diets. Check the ingredient list on the shakes though. They contain sucralose (splenda), which is a controversal artifical sugar. Most people on a vegan or raw diet would not consider consuming something artifical every day, twice per day. I have seen some shakes sweetened with stevia, which is better in my opinion, though I do not supplement with shakes at all.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • mercergirl2008
    I was talking with a coworker and she is currently dieting and running 4 miles a day. Though I can't run 4 miles at once right now I will try doing a 4 mile walk/jog daily for the next 7 weeks and see what happens. I just need to commit to preparing my meals at home and taking a lunch to work. I guess if I make a smoothie everyday it can be one without any supplements. I have never tried supplements in the past. This is my second go round with dieting. Last time I did weight watchers and lost 50 lbs. That was 3 years ago.
  • mercergirl2008
    My problem is that I haven't been able to commit to anything long term.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Mercygirl, I have never tried shakes to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck in however you want to try to lose weight. Everybody on this thread needs to be supportive to each other and not tell someone they should not be on this thread. Everyone has different opinions and that is my opinion.:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

THIS.^^ bingo.
  • mercergirl2008
    Thanks emih29. I will look into that the protein mix.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    My problem is that I haven't been able to commit to anything long term.

And how are shakes going to help you do that? Not trying to be negative, but you need to learn moderation for a lifestyle change. A meal replacement won't help you accomplish that.

Also, a word of caution: Going from zero exercise to running 4 miles a day is a bad idea. You're setting yourself up for injury there. Get the Couch-to-5K program (you can get an app for your phone) and do that. You should only be running 3, maybe 4, times a week to start.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    I can understand where you're coming from, you're just trying to find the best route for weight loss at this point. Instead of looking at short-term solutions (like drinking shakes everyday) I would highly suggest just using this site and logging your food. Begin without having any foods that you're 'not allowed' to have and eat the foods that you want while fitting them within your calories/carbs/fat. Logging foods BEFORE I eat them helps me a lot.
    If you wish, begin to make more slight changes to your diet, such as cutting out soda at one point. Swapping out a starchy side for a vegetable, finding lower calorie options, etc. The 'diet' mindset is usually the downfall of most people in the end.

As far as exercise, I agree with the person who suggested something such as Couch to 5k. Or anything, do a work out DVD, set some fitness goals and just build yourself up instead of diving right into 4 miles a day.