First real NSV-my mom can hug me again.

Options
Erienneb
Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
I'm not one to toot my own horn usually, outside of my friend group, so I tend to only post on the boards in response to others, and not for myself. I look at the Success Stories daily and it brings me so much motivation waiting for the day I can post my success story. But then I realized, life is ongoing, and whether it's now, or a year from now, or at my goal weight, or years into maintenence, I'm still successful. I wanted to share because like me, I know there are people out there that don't see the changes in themselves yet. That struggle seeing other people succeed when it's still seemingly so far away from attainable for themselves. So here's some background:

I'm 5'11'' and at my highest I was 307lbs. I started on September 7th 2012 with my first weigh in and logging food. I'm down to 276lbs last weigh in on Sunday morning. I have also lost one whole clothing size. It doesn't feel like that much, but I'm 25% to my goal. When I look ni the mirror, though, I can't see it at ALL!

My mom has always been fit. She's about 15lbs over where she wants to be right now, but that's as overweight as she's ever gotten. She's 5'6'' and I dwarf her basically. She's been working otu lately even with a bone spur because she's proud of me and says she's inspired by me. Coming from a mother who was always harsh on me when I was younger, that in itself was crazy to hear. But then I went to hug her to tell her good job and she started crying. I asked her what was wrong, because she wouldn't let go of me, and she said

"I haven't been able to hug you because I couldn't reach around you. My hands are clasped right now."

Which of course made me cry that I hadn't even realized that for the past year or so, when my mom hugged me, she wasn't really hugging me, she kept her arms down. I'm very tactile normally, and it just really hit home how much I had tamped down certain things because I didn't want to face the weight.

Replies

• jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww this is great :heart: I'm sure your mom is really proud of you! Keep up the awesome work!
  • Erienneb
    Options
    Thank you! I don't remember her ever being vocally proud of me before. My family does this "let's not talk about our feelings" thing so it's still weird for me haha.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have not seen a more powerful or motivating NSV. I have tears in my eyes because this is so great. Thanks for posting.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story and experience!! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • melissazwa
    melissazwa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ahhh!!! That brough tears to my eyes. What a huge accomlishment! Keep it goin!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    That's an AWESOME NSV! For both you and her!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    OMG...this made me cry! I'm so happy for you! :-D Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Aww, that is sweet :)
  • lil9tails
    Options
    That is so awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing that. I understand about not talking about feelings among family, in my family's situation we kind of had an emotional block on things like that so I get it.
    I may not know you, but I'm glad to see that you're on track to reach your goal -- That's great! I'm 100% positive your mom is super proud of you, and we're all happy to read your story. You are an encouragement to all of us!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That's the best thing I've seen on here in a while.....what a very sweet NSV for you :)
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! You just got two big boosts: you're seeing the results you're working for AND your mom is proud of you! What a great story. Keep up the great work!!
  • Erienneb
    Options
    It means a lot that so many people got enjoyment out of my post. I know I'm still super overweight, but all I want is to inspire others.

Anyone can add me that wants to. I'm on here more often than can possibly be good for me.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Your story definitely hits close to home for me! Not only are we the same height but we have almost the exact starting weight. My mom is also a dwarf around 5'4" and she hasn't been able to wrap her arms fully around me in a really long time. Durning the summer she noticed she could and now when she hugs me she can almost touch her elbows! You are doing an amazing job, keep up the great work!
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What an absolutely wonderful story. <3 Congratulations!
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Congrats, that is wonderful! I'm of a similar starting weight and height (6'1, 285) and I have lost 34 so far, so we're on the same track. Keep going!!!
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    <===Guy checking in here. I think it's awesome that you were able to connect with your mother like that. It also hit home for me too, and gives me the motivation to keep trying. My whole family has always been on the heavier side, I just hope I can inspire them like you did your mom, to get on the healthy track. Thanks for sharing and keep up the super Awesome work. :drinker:
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Take that feeling and run like the wind with it. Motivation is best when it comes from your own situations!
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who started to tear-up! I'm happy for you , and keep up the good work!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yay!! That's awesome! So proud of you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!