Vacation Weight Gain

Options
How much weight can you gain from a 5 day all inclusive resort vacation?

Well, according to my experiment, if you overindulge at the buffet for every breakfast and lunch, eat every bite of every course of dinner, drink excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages (no matter how sugary/calorie-filled they are), get nachos every time you pass the stand, all while still running 5-6 miles every morning, you can gain approximately 10 pounds in 5 days.

The next experiment entails seeing how long it takes to get back down to my normal weight. I'll post the results when they are available.

I am supposed to be gaining around 10 pounds anyways (doctor's orders), but I have a feeling there was a healthier way to go about this...

Replies

• weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So if your doctor says that you should be gaining 10 pounds, then why are you trying to see how long it'll take you to go back down to your "normal" weight? Isn't your "normal" weight right now then?

I went on a 7-day all inclusive trip last year, ran every morning, ate NORMALLY (which for me means I did not pig out and act like every meal was my last meal) indulged in lots of alcohol (my downfall) and when I got home I only gained 2 pounds, which I lost within 3 days (so must have been water weight).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I gained 17 pounds on my last five day vacation - not to an all-inclusive resort.

Honestly, I only gain around 6-8 pounds at all inclusives because I find that I spend more time relaxing in the room reading, chilling by the pool reading, walking along the ocean, and playing in the pool or ocean. And I just eat my three meals a day, maybe with a small snack or two throughout the day.

But when I take a vacation to a particular city or location, I typically have a list of food places that I want to try because I've seen or read about them one place or another. So I end up just eating all day long because I'm trying to fit in as many as possible before we leave.
  • lissavlog
    Options
    my last vacation i only gained one pound. i was in vegas and ate everything, but walked everywhere. even went hiking in red rock. it probably would have been a lot different if i hadn't walked everywhere. last year i went on a cruise and gained 5 pounds, despite not even over indulging on food. but as soon as i get home & get back in my routine the weight falls right off and i'm back on track.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    So if your doctor says that you should be gaining 10 pounds, then why are you trying to see how long it'll take you to go back down to your "normal" weight? Isn't your "normal" weight right now then?

I lost a lot of my muscle mass while training for a marathon. I was using this site to lose 5 pounds to get to my ideal weight, but did not increase my food intake enough during this training and ended up losing over 20 pounds (down to 104 pounds at 5'6"). My original goal was only to get down to 125. I worked hard for a toned body and now just looked scrawny, so I want to gain my muscle mass back and am fully aware that 104 is not healthy for my body (and it certainly doesn't look very good). However, I did not pick up a single weight while on vacation so I think it is safe to say that the 10 pounds I gained was NOT in muscle and not healthy in any way, and NOT the kind of weight I want. So technically I guess I am not actually trying to drop these ten pounds, though I would prefer that they do not just stick to my midsection.

I went on a 3 week vacation in August and didn't gain a pound because it was very active (lots of hiking, swimming, etc) and I was careful about what I ate. I went on this knowing that I was going to. After spending the year training for race after race (with two more coming up at the end of this month), strength training, watching what I eat constantly, I thought I deserved to have 5 days to indulge. If this came off as me complaining, it was not. I knew exactly what I was doing the whole time, and fully expected to gain 5-10 pounds. I mainly posted it because it just because I felt like sharing :)
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would bet that a good percentage of that weight is just your body freaking out from all the extra sugar/sodium/whatever. I bet after 2-3 days of proper eating and lots of water a bunch of that weight will disappear. Yeah, if you're looking to gain, that probably isn't the way to do it :)
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I lost a lot of my muscle mass while training for a marathon. I was using this site to lose 5 pounds to get to my ideal weight, but did not increase my food intake enough during this training and ended up losing over 20 pounds (down to 104 pounds at 5'6"). My original goal was only to get down to 125. I worked hard for a toned body and now just looked scrawny, so I want to gain my muscle mass back and am fully aware that 104 is not healthy for my body (and it certainly doesn't look very good). However, I did not pick up a single weight while on vacation so I think it is safe to say that the 10 pounds I gained was NOT in muscle and not healthy in any way, and NOT the kind of weight I want. So technically I guess I am not actually trying to drop these ten pounds, though I would prefer that they do not just stick to my midsection.

I went on a 3 week vacation in August and didn't gain a pound because it was very active (lots of hiking, swimming, etc) and I was careful about what I ate. I went on this knowing that I was going to. After spending the year training for race after race (with two more coming up at the end of this month), strength training, watching what I eat constantly, I thought I deserved to have 5 days to indulge. If this came off as me complaining, it was not. I knew exactly what I was doing the whole time, and fully expected to gain 5-10 pounds. I mainly posted it because it just because I felt like sharing :)

Nope you didn't come across as whiny. I was just curious what your rationale was.

It's interesting that you lost so much weight while training for a marathon - you must not have been eating much. I'm also a long distance runner, but find that when I'm training for a half or a full marathon (like right now), I actually gain weight. I eat a lot more when I am training, because I am hungry all the time. I increase my carbs intake as that is the fastest fuel source for my workouts. I started training again this September, and I went from 104 (I'm 5'8") to 113, where I am now. But this is my ideal running weight - I am lean, but strong, as per my profile pics. At 104 I had no muscle mass whatsoever, and felt generally weak and pallid. Now, I feel healthy, strong, and supple.

FWIW, I don't think 104 at 5'6" is unhealthy if that is where your body's natural weight is (ie, you're not starving yourself). When I wasn't training (last year), like I said, I was also 104, and I'm 5'8. I was eating around 1800 a day on average. In other words, I just naturally have a pretty high metabolism. To maintain my current weight while training, I'm eating around 2400-2500 calories a day on average.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that most if not all of it is water weight that will soon disappear. I went on vacation for 5 days, still logged everything, but indulged when I felt like it. I gained 5 pounds when I stepped on the scale right after I got home and then lost 6 within two days.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of all of the people that experience the water weight gain from their vacations and it all drops right back off. That never happens with me. I may drop a pound or two after getting home but all remaining pounds come off as slowly as they did the first time I lost them, prior to the trip. And that's with going straight back in to eating healthy, keeping a solid deficit and picking back up with working out. :(