What if you can't exercise?

Options
My personal experience of weight loss and exercise is that my lowest weight came a few years ago when I was on Weight Watchers, working out with weights, cardio and swimming and walking everywhere, which worked out to about 2 hours of exercise a day, 5-6 days a week.

For various reasons I had to stop that particular routine and the weight piled back on, to the point where I was my biggest ever and not exercising at all. I convinced myself that I needed that level of exercise to maintain my lower weight. Now I know that my diet was all wrong and my portion sizes were huge and that was more likely the problem!

This time around I have neither time nor money for gym, personal trainers or even the local pool so my exercise is limited to my walks to and from the station for work and, weather permitting, a longer walk from the station to the office. I know this won't do much for building muscle and toning my flabby body, but at least I know that it's sustainable and I'm unlikely to do any injuries that mean I have to give it up.

Don't get me wrong, if I could I'd be sweating it out in the gym and swimming laps, but I actually think for me this is a better way for me to get my weight down. It's something I've been thinking a lot about recently and I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am doing home workouts, 30-45 minutes with Jillian Michael's videos or Leslie Sansone videos.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone walks at home and try to get outdoors and run when the weather's nice. I am looking at some weights so I can add lifting to my routine as I'd rather do everything at home rather than a gym: more convenient, less expensive.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I made a weighted hula hoop. There are also lots of exercise videos and clips available online. I also liked Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, only $10 at Walmart.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Diet is 80% of weight loss, so you'll be fine losing weight without exercise. Take walks when you can, and try and mix in some interval training into that if you can (walk for 1 min, jog for 30 seconds).
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is so much you can do at home just with your own body weight. You don't have to have access to a gym, a swimming pool, or any equipment for that matter to get a good workout.

I'm currently half way through INSANITY, but there are also other less expensive options out there.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i walk as much as i can when i can and so far so good :)
  • Rmbleasdal21
    Options
    I know Diet is a HUGE part of it, so you'll definitely see weight loss.
    I worked out in the past...3 days a week, about 2 hrs (mix of cardio/strength training) for about 4 months solid (didn't think dieting was such a big part of it, so I didn't worry about it much), and, although I was stronger and developed more muscle, I hadn't lost a single pound, and I still looked the same. It was so frustrating that I just gave up.
    Now, after ONE WEEK of simply watching what i'm eating, and doing next to no exercising, i've already dropped about 2 pounds!
    I know I won't get "toned" without exercise...but just seeing some of the weight FINALLY coming off is fantastic!! :)
    ...Lesson learned. Diet = Major Factor in weight loss.

And for exercise around the house, I got some cheap ankle weights at walmart, and I wear those while doing housework. :)

Good luck!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Google body weight exercises and at home exercises. A few ideas for body weight: push-ups, tricep dips (using chair or low table), squats, lunges, calf raises (off a step). Just about all core exercises are body weight: sit-ups, bridges, bicycle, plank, side plank, supermans, etc.. Also, you can get cheap weights by washing out a couple gallon milk jugs and filling them with water. A full gallon jug weighs about 8 pounds. You could always fill it partway at first then fill it more as you gain strength. If you don't currently have any, I believe it only costs about $1 per gallon to buy no brand water at the store. Much cheaper than hand weights!

For cardio, walk, jog or run in place or up and down stairs, do jumping jacksj, punches, kicks and invisible jump rope.

And if you're interested in doing set workouts, check your library to see if they have any videos- usually there is no rental cost. If you already have Netflix, they have some there. If your cable subscription offers "on demand" some workouts are on there. There are some on youtube and other video websites as well. Or if you're willing to spend $10, Target and WalMart both have a pretty good selection.

No need for the gym!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I do workout, I use Leslie Sansone with the toning bands or chords. I do 30-45 minutes in the morning and 30-45 minutes in evening. When the weather is nice, I walk on the trail for a 30 minutes by my job. I haven't been able to work out for a month because of my foot surgery. But I can tell my attitude have changed because I'm actually looking forward getting the approval to start working out again.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 70% eating (I hate the word diet), 10% exercise and 10% genetics.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, running in place and yoga/floor stretching.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I haven't joined a gym yet and I exercise everyday. If you want to do it, you will find a way. No excuses.
  • ajpeardon
    ajpeardon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You're losing now, so don't fret about it! Just keep on doing what works for you-you're doing great!