carb/pro/fat ratios of MFP

Options
Okay, so I just calculated my ratios on here. MFP calc me to have 55% carb, 20% fat and 15% pro. I'm more of a 50% (or less), 20%, 30%+ type of girl. What about everyone else?? I have found that for me personally more lean protein and a bit less carb works best and of course, sticking with whole grain/high fiber carbs when I do have them.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I just calculated my ratios on here. MFP calc me to have 55% carb, 20% fat and 15% pro. I'm more of a 50% (or less), 20%, 30%+ type of girl. What about everyone else?? I have found that for me personally more lean protein and a bit less carb works best and of course, sticking with whole grain/high fiber carbs when I do have them.

I think MFP's defaults are not ideal for the majority. You can change yours by going to goals>custom I believe.
  • isitsororo
    Options

I think MFP's defaults are not ideal for the majority. You can change yours by going to goals>custom I believe.

Could you explain this a little more? How or why are they not ideal for the majority? I'm trying to learn about these things.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Protein is way too low and carbs are way too high. I'm doing 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein. This is what the New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests for optimum weight loss.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options

Could you explain this a little more? How or why are they not ideal for the majority? I'm trying to learn about these things.

They are not ideal because the carbs are too high and the protein is way too low. I go with 40/40/20 carbs, proteins, fats.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I unintentionally end up close to about 40/30/30. The default of 15% for protein is enough when I am bulking, but when I cut, I will never hit 100g of protein at 15%.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    35C/30P/35F
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based whole food (vegan) diet with no added fat and no refined or processed grains, so my carbs are always higher and my fat minimal..I just ignore the ratios to be honest.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based whole food (vegan) diet with no added fat and no refined or processed grains, so my carbs are always higher and my fat minimal..I just ignore the ratios to be honest.

Me too. Mine ratios are generally 70% carb, and the rest is split between the others. It has been working fantastically for me. I am losing weight steadily, and I have never felt better!
  • SideSteel
    Options

My biggest concern is the protein value being as low as it is. A secondary concern is that the intake values are quite low because MFP anticiptes the user to eat back exercise calories and when they DO add exercise calories, the calories are added in the same proportion as the percentages which, in some circumstances, confounds things quite a bit.

I do still think you can lose weight and be successful with MFP's defaults, I just think there are better methods.
  • mhairi81
    mhairi81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to change the ratio in your diary how do you do it?
  • isitsororo
    Options

My biggest concern is the protein value being as low as it is. A secondary concern is that the intake values are quite low because MFP anticiptes the user to eat back exercise calories and when they DO add exercise calories, the calories are added in the same proportion as the percentages which, in some circumstances, confounds things quite a bit.

I do still think you can lose weight and be successful with MFP's defaults, I just think there are better methods.

Alright, that makes more sense (thank you to IronDame as well). Right now I'm not paying much attention to my own carb/pro/fat intake ratio but I'm still interested in learning about it.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Some of the things I've read regarding this have to do with metabolic "type". Slow oxidizers burn food at a slower rate and should eat a diet of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat. Fast oxidizers burn up food more quickly and should eat 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. Balanced oxidizers should eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Of course, some people think that whole idea is baloney. I think it has merit, but I find it hard to manage. I should eat 40/30/30, but my weekly stats are almost always 50/25/25. Too many carbs, not enough fat and not enough protein.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options

Go to Home - Goals - Change Goals - Custom - and you can change the ratios there.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Goals, change goals, custom.
  • mhairi81
    mhairi81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Some of the things I've read regarding this have to do with metabolic "type". Slow oxidizers burn food at a slower rate and should eat a diet of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat. Fast oxidizers burn up food more quickly and should eat 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. Balanced oxidizers should eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Of course, some people think that whole idea is baloney. I think it has merit, but I find it hard to manage. I should eat 40/30/30, but my weekly stats are almost always 50/25/25. Too many carbs, not enough fat and not enough protein.

Sounds legit....As seen on Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Mercola.com .....:laugh:

"THE "DIET DEBATE" IS OVER. THE "DIET WARS" HAVE ENDED!"
    The ONLY diet that is right for you is the one that is right for YOUR Metabolic Type®. "
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    mine were set to 20C/40F/40P but I am actually staying around 30carb 40fat 30pro. And I subtract fiber grams, so that is for NET carbs.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

ONE! ONE piece of BALONEY! AH HA HA HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    MFP bases its carb/pro/fat ratios based on the Canadian Food Guide/American dietary equivalent.
    Most people ask: Why are carbs and fats so high and protein so low?
    Most people think: Carbs aren't essential to keep muscle, stores lots of water. If proteins are so low, I will lose all my muscles. Fats are high in calories and can potentially lead to heart disease (name other disease here). Therefore, I'm going to crank up my protein ratio and have less carbs and fats in my diet.

Here is why carbs and fats are so high. If you have more protein in your day, you will most likely have to cut down on carbs. Most vegetables are an important source of carbohydrates and fat. Most fruits and vegetables are also what are going to contain the bulk of your vitamins and minerals.

Think about it:
    -dairy, full of calcium and supplemented with Vitamin D also contains fats, carbs (and sugar) along with protein -fyi VitD can only be absorbed by your body with the intake of fat
    -cholesterol usually comes from a fat source - although here in North America, we consume way too much of this stuff, cholesterol is essential to making your brain function.
    - broccoli, you name the veggies: full of iron, Vitamin B, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc....also full of carbs
    -carrots: Vitamin B and A - also full of carbs.
    - banana: potassium, vit C, etc - full of carbs.
    -avocado: watch out, this one is full of fats - again, fats are essential for the function of many organs in your body!!

Also, if you cut out all "white carbs" you'll notice that you'll be quite hungry an hour or so after having eating your "carbless" lunch consisting of veggies and meat. Starches help with satiety...I try not to go without them for too long otherwise I'll end up breaking down and bingeing.

So, although you want to crank up your protein with some 0 fat greek yogurt, quinoa, chicken breast, you might be missing out on some essential nutrients in the end - especially with a caloric-deficit diet. This might be a short term solution to lose weight - but its not healthy as a long term solution as you might become anemic or vitamin deficient.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Mine are 40C/40P/20F. Quoting the P90X diet plan guide called The Energy Booster. "A balanced mix of carbohydrates and protein with a lower amount of fat to supply additional energy for performance." This macro setting is working for me.