New and Confused :)

Options
Just started a few weeks ago, and have been updating daily. Quick question about meeting daily calories: How does it work for exercise? Should I be aiming to meet my net calories or should I ignore the amount of "extra" calories gained from exercise? I started to lose some weight, but I gained a pound back. Pretty discouraging. Any advice?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Net calories should be your aim. Some people suggest that at the very least you should eat some of your exercise calories. You may have to try a few things until you see what works for you. Just give each change a couple of weeks before you decide it wont work as it may take time. Good luck.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    It might be counter-intuitive, but eat your exercise calories. Your body tries to maintain an equilibrium. MFP calculates how many calories you need to maintain each day (net calories). Your exercise calories are subtracted from your total calories to arrive at the net calories. If you go below the goal net calories, you run the risk of entering starvation mode and your body will hold onto the fat reserves.

There are a lot of good posts relating to this throughout the message boards.
  • gaugustin
    gaugustin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!