Fluid Restriction anyone else ?

Options
Due to heart failure I am on fluid restriction so not allowed those 8 glasses of water.
I am also on diuretics and still hold on to water. Have lo eat low sodium / mostly salt free also.
My total fluid intake is restricted to 1.5 litres which is 6 cups for a complete day .
This includes everything fluid : coffee , tea , fruit juice , tomato juice ,
watery fruits like grapes oranges etc , watery veg , yoghurt , water, milk etc
During heatwaves I am allowed slightly more fluids but not too much extra.
So the drink plenty of water to help with weight loss is a big no no in case of heart failure with water retention.
Someone else on the forum with this issue ?

Replies

• Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Old post. But maybe someone else has this also? So moved post up is now april 2019 just in case someone identifies with this. In hot weather, we had many heatwaves the last few summers I am allowed some more water.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    Old post. But maybe someone else has this also? So moved post up is now april 2019 just in case someone identifies with this. In hot weather, we had many heatwaves the last few summers I am allowed some more water.

How much weight have you lost since the first post?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I doubt the correctness of the medical advice. Water retention is best managed with diuretics not with restriction. Your kidneys need the water. A lot more than 1.5 liters. Second opinion recommended.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh.... I don't have CHF but works on medical field. If your cardiologist advice you to only have 8 glasses then you should only drink 8 glasses of fluid, no buts. Sadly, if you have CHF, CKD will eventually be somewhere in the corner. You should see a dietician and follow your Dr's advise only. Don't listen to the people here when it comes to that, even if they say they too have CHF, because no one here knows your medical background.
  • deblcar
    deblcar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I doubt the correctness of the medical advice. Water retention is best managed with diuretics not with restriction. Your kidneys need the water. A lot more than 1.5 liters. Second opinion recommended.
    Having worked in the healthcare field for a long time, this is correct for most people with CHF. Part of the problem is that it is not like regular "bloating" water retention because the fluid builds up in the lungs. There is also less blood going to the kidneys which makes them work harder.

OP - follow your cardiologists advice and maybe ask about a cardiac rehab program, they can teach you the correct exercise intensity to help rather than hinder your progress. Best of luck to you...
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used to have a fluid restriction when I was on dialysis. Definitely consult with your treatment team. But if you're looking for methods to stretch your fluid intake over the course of the day, try sucking on little ice cubes. No chewing. I don't want your teeth to hate me.
  • colortheworld1989
    colortheworld1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Actually, no. A CHF patient is normally on a fluid restriction because the excess fluid backs up into the lungs or circulatory system (depending whether it's right or left sided heart failure.) This is part of why a CHF patient is given diuretics, to help the body get rid of the extra fluid its trying to hold onto. Drinking too much water often leads to hospitalization and other complications.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have lost since the flu and today 8kg mostly water.