anyone else in my shoes???

Options
the 5'6/5'7 thread got me thinking... I weigh so much more for my size than it seems anyone else does. My SW was 270 and I'm in a size 18. Yea, thats great and all because most people that weight around 200/220 from what I can tell wear the same size as me.

My problem is I dont drop sizes as fast as most. Where most people can loose 10/15 pounds and go down a size, I have to loose about 30/40 pounds before my size changes. When I weighed 185 I was in a tight 12/loose 14 so that shows you.. almost 100 pounds different and I've only gone up 2/3 sizes.... and I've always been like that.. my roommate in college wore 2 sizes bigger than me, but weighed 20 pounds less than me...

anyone else have these issues with their weight/inches???

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What difference does a pant size make if you feel good?
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Right now I'm 150lbs at 5'3, and wear a size 8. Right after pregnancy at 181lbs I wore a size 10. I was concerned for awhile about losing 31lbs and only one size. Then I started thinking about the fact that I've always been an athlete, and my muscle takes up a lot of space :)
  • EmmaleighM
    EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
    Options

its not the pants size that discourages me.. I could care less about what size I wear.. it the fact that I have to lose so much to see a difference... I get discouraged when I have lost weight but my clothes aren't fitting different... or when I see friends dropping a pants size every 10 or 15 pounds....

so I'm sorry if I gave off the impression that its the size that matters... Its more the fact that it takes so much more for me to drop those sizes..
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

its not the pants size that discourages me.. I could care less about what size I wear.. it the fact that I have to lose so much to see a difference... I get discouraged when I have lost weight but my clothes aren't fitting different... or when I see friends dropping a pants size every 10 or 15 pounds....

so I'm sorry if I gave off the impression that its the size that matters... Its more the fact that it takes so much more for me to drop those sizes..

Okay, I can understand that frustration.

Next time you feel that way, do this: Go to the grocery store and pick up an 8lb sack of potatoes (or how every many pounds equal to what you have lost). Raise your arm and hold on to the sack - feel how heavy it is. Think about what that extra weight was doing to your body and think about how much better you feel with it gone.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Be careful,sometimes we measure success in relation to pants size and just because our old pants are still not falling off our hips we think we're not making progress... But the truth is we should already be wearing a smaller pants size! So every few pounds you lose go and try on a smaller pants size (make it always the same model,the same manufacturer) , you might even shock yourself!

Also, a lot of people wear pants a size too small,either because they don't realise they don't fit or,just because they like tight clothing. So make sure you're having thise things in mind before evaluating your progress.

Still, what matters is that you ARE losing weight and I bet you're losing more inches than you think. Sometimes the body just prefers to lose pounds in other areas we never measure, like hands, face, head, even feet. The body loses fat from wherever it feels like.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    While fat distribution tends to be very similar among people of the same sex, it is not 100% identical. Clothing sizes really depend on fast distribution more so than simple weight.

Simply put, where your fat is, it doesn't affect the fit of clothes as much as perhaps some other women. So, when you lose it, it is not making that much of a difference on it.
  • EmmaleighM
    EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone... you are all so right... I think I need to get this thinking out of my head and just focus on the weight I am losing and reaching my goal.... thats what really matters =)
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    You are absolutely not alone! I have lost almost 70 lbs and am still wearing my "before" jeans. Now, granted they are loose, I can still wear them!! Talk about disappointing. I have big hips so they help to keep them up most of the time. I have gone from a 3x or 26/28 shirt to an Xl..that is a great feeling!!! Good luck!! Mfp is the most awesomest thing ever!!!! :)
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I guess every body shape is just so different. I weigh around 240lbs and wear a size 18-20, but I'm in Australia and I think the sizing is different, so not sure what the US equivalent is........

I would agree with the other posters on here who have suggested going by measurements instead :flowerforyou:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't fret-- maybe you aren't seeing the difference. It took me a long time to "notice" that the pants were looser, even though they didn't fit right for a long time. Also, do remember, the bigger the pants are, the more "forgiving" they can be (elastic, extenders, inconsistent sizing, etc). I think once we both get into more "normal" sizes, the weight loss will better match the size loss.
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. You could weigh less than a lot of people in that thread, but still wear a larger size than them. It's infuriating.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do you take your measurements? I measure waist, hips, widest part & thighs regularly, so when I'm needing a reminder of how far I've come, I can hold the tape at my starting measurements and think 'That's where I was!' It certainly helps me see the changes that I don't notice on a daily basis... :smile:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body shape quite a bit, and also, above size 12/14, there are more pounds in between sizes. For example, there may be a 10 pound difference between a 4 and a 6 but there is a 20 pound difference between a 14 and 16. I've worn a size twelve for 30 pounds before ( I'm in a loose 12 now, maybe a 10 since I haven't been shopping) I weigh 153. Someone above me with a similar weight posted that they wore an 8, I'd have to be around 130 for that. I stopped worrying about numbers and more about how I looked once I realized my bare skeleton was probably a size 6.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting healthy and stop comparing yourself to others. It is your journey after all. The only way this stays a permanent change is to stop comparing and start listening to your own body. Enjoy the process, it is fun if you let it be. There is no end really, health is for life.