Is Splenda good or no?

Options
124»

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love how the blanket statements about the horrors of artificial sweeteners never include:

a) Any reference to dose.
    b) Any evidence to support the claim that they are bad.

oh and when I say love, I mean don't love.

you should ask these people if they drink decaf coffee. And then point them to link that explains how coffee gets decaffed.
  • marialleras
    Options
    I use Splenda (sucralose) for my coffee, because it's lower in calories than the real stuff. Tastes as good, in my opinion. I think raw sugar is more natural, so if you can afford the extra calories I would pick that.

Scientists are not too sure about the long term effects of sucralose on the human body, so to be honest I am considering giving it up too. It's also made with aspartame... Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. Scary.

Some people have pretty bad side effects from that substance. Nothing too serious, but migraines, cramps, mood swings... Never experienced any of those, but it's worth being concerned about.

Here is a very honest article about this: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

You are confused here...Splenda (brand name) is Sucralose...Nutrasweet (brand name) is Aspartame. There is NO aspartame in Splenda.

thats what I heard what you just wrote
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is the best post I've seen on MFP so far. Evidence (or lack thereof) means nothing to these people. Unless you have some life-threatening reaction to Splenda, it's totally fine. Don't get distracted by media hype as so many posters here have; it's all bogus. Just go for the lower calorie option if you want to lose weight. Oh, and btw, I'm a medical student.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I love how the blanket statements about the horrors of artificial sweeteners never include:

you should ask these people if they drink decaf coffee. And then point them to link that explains how coffee gets decaffed.

^ Interesting. I am going to go check this out. Thanks.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more. Saying chemicals are bad or aspartame is the devil doesn't help prove a point. 9srwa.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    9srwa.jpg

^LOL!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Agree. I'm also a Splenda user. . . in coffee, tea, on grapefruit, in baked goods. I don't eat many other processed foods. I'm going to take my chances. It has been extensively studied. As for the fad sweeteners, the agave nectar isn't as wholesome as the advertisers make it out to be. And the Stevia people buy is also highly processed and much less extensively studied than Splenda

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-agave
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    but chemicals are all bad, aren't they? If there was no hydrogen, there'd be no hydrogen bombs and the world would be a better place. So, we should get rid of all the hydrogen and all the aspartame and we'll al be happier.

Of course, hydrogen can be fun. We used to run an open electric current through water and collect the separated oxygen and hydrogen in ballons. Then you add in a spark and get a nice big boom which is always a happy time.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Can't we all just get along?
  • jonesey65244
    Options
    YEE HAW!!! Brilliant, genius...oh, and cute, too.

jonesey65244
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda all the time. Well, not all the time, I just put it in tea.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Chemical sh!tstorm.
  • an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    well this has been interesting reading!

I havent really been thinking about splenda etc, but stevia--

does it taste the same as sugar?
    why is it so much better then splenda?
    How processed is it?
    Is there anyone here who is actually surviving without sugar? (I'm a huge addict)
    No sugar = no chocoalate? (also a huge chocolate addict).

Would love to hear what you guys think!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    All this concern over Splenda? It seems to me you're concerned about the wrong thing. There's another much more deadly industrial solvent called Hydric Acid (Dihydrogen Monoxide), that can be found extensively in the US food supply. Recent tests (2012), of food samples AND many plots of farmland show that this stuff has leached into everything! Heck, potentially lethal levels of this stuff may have been in the foods you ate today, EVEN IF IT WAS ORGANIC!!!

You can learn more here:
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Please help get the word out!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know this is semantics but it's a pet peeve of mine-- everything is made of chemicals. Chemical does not equal "bad."

I use Splenda regularly and have had no problems with it. I greatly prefer it to Stevia. I couldn't even finish the small box of stevia that I bought to try. I gave it to my parents and they didn't like it either so I'm pretty sure it ended up in the trash.
  • Graciecny
    Options
    All this concern over Splenda? It seems to me you're concerned about the wrong thing. There's another much more deadly industrial solvent called Hydric Acid (Dihydrogen Monoxide), that can be found extensively in the US food supply. Recent tests (2012), of food samples AND many plots of farmland show that this stuff has leached into everything! Heck, potentially lethal levels of this stuff may have been in the foods you ate today, EVEN IF IT WAS ORGANIC!!!

You can learn more here:

I LOVE that website! Also check out the Penn and Teller video about DHMO. Hilarious stuff. As someone pointed out, if you can see it, touch it, taste it , feel it, it is a chemical. Every single substance you need to sustain life is. There are good chemicals and bad ones.

Artificial sweeteners are still on my no-fly list, regardless. :)
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options

You can learn more here:

after reading the website, I am so motivated to put and end to this Dihydrogen Monoxide chemical. Penn and Teller are awesome.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Chemical sh!tstorm.

Sounds like a bad SyFy TV movie...

"What happens when a nuclear tornado hits a waste processing plant? Find out in Chemical Sh!tstorm, starring Brian Austin Greene and Nancy McKeon. Special guest star Jenny McCarthy as 'The Scientist'"
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Chemical sh!tstorm.

Sounds like a bad SyFy TV movie...

"What happens when a nuclear tornado hits a waste processing plant? Find out in Chemical Sh!tstorm, starring Brian Austin Greene and Nancy McKeon. Special guest star Jenny McCarthy as 'The Scientist'"

:laugh: