Who is actually using chia seeds?

Options
The reduction in hunger pangs because you feel full longer sounds like a plus as well as the omega 3 benefits. Who is using the seeds on a regualr basis and where do you get them and at what price?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sprinkle chia seeds on a lot of stuff, especially salads and such.

The only downfall to chia seeds is the little prick b@st@rds like to get in between your gum line and teeth and they are pinchy

Another thing to try is Hemp Hearts. They are yummy and very filling.
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i put them in yogurt and juice for a little more vitamins/minerals. they don't increase my fullness.

i buy them at iherb.com
  • Carol_123
    Carol_123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I once used chia as an egg replacer in baking, because I am allergic to eggs. Look up chia eggs. It forms a gel with water to use in baking. You want to buy the white chia seeds so you don't see them in your baked goods. Most bulk stores have chia now.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I once used chia seeds to make a pet for myself.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my oatmeal and my smoothies to thicken them. I do notice it keeps me fuller longer. Careful thoough they are packed with nutrients but also calories.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am regularly eating 2 things that contain chia seeds:

(1) Udi's Millet-Chia Bread
    (2) Holy Crap cereal

Both from my regular grocery store and reasonable in price.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I once used chia seeds to make a pet for myself.

Damn it, he beat me to it. This ^
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use them everyday in my overnight oatmeal

I bought a 1lb bag on amazon for like $12 but I only use 2 tsp a day, so it should last forever
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Add it to Greek yogurt. You can find them at GNC, I've seen them in the produce section at grocery stores recently.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Me! In steel cut oats and greek yogurt. Whole foods. I think they were expensive but last a long time,
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I put them in overnight oatmeal but I don't notice a difference in my hunger levels.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The reduction in hunger pangs because you feel full longer sounds like a plus as well as the omega 3 benefits. Who is using the seeds on a regualr basis and where do you get them and at what price?

Might want to check on those n3 benefits, particularly how well humans convert ALA to EPA and DHA
  • berdellazf
    Options
    the man that sold me my vitamix suggested them, I get them at the health food store, 12 oz package $14.99 but I am also in Alaska so my price is probably higher. I keep some at my desk at work- so when I get a hunger at 2:00 I add them to my yogurt.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I bought organic ones at whole foods, a big bag for like 7.99 I think.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've been using them in oatmeal, yougurt, cereal, and all kinds of other things on occasion... got them at a health food store.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    You can get plain chia seeds at Kroger stores now, don't even have to go to the health store or order online. The feeling full thing only really happens if you eat them raw I believe, because if you make something with the gel, you'll just eat it. They are really good for sustained energy and hydration. An ancient practice for armies in battle, one meal with Chia a day, lots of water, and that Chia would help them hold the water and keep hydrated while giving nutrients. Lots of good stuff in them, a worthy addition, and unlike quinoa, a serving of chia is like a tablespoon. My old housemate used to just eat a spoonful when he wanted a snack as he enjoys the nutty flavor.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    chiapetartsm.jpg
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use them everyday in my overnight oatmeal

I have never tried chia seeds... but my dietician just recommended I make steel cut oats "overnight." Seems like you have had success doing that... what else do you put in your overnight oatmeal? How many nights do you make it?
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I get mine at bulk barn and use it in oatmeal and chia pudding.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think Bob's Red Mill makes a bag of Chia seeds. Our local Giant and Wegmans have them.