confised?:/

Options
hi all ok so im new to this site 3 days but loveing it x im a tad confused tho.. my daily goal calories as gone up today from 1640 -over 2.000? x also im lookign for people to add me for supposrt to help eachother x and offer advice hints tips ect:) sam

Replies

• Turtlehurdle
    Options
    confused?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I was confused by the title! lol

Sorry, add me as a friend if you like!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    confused?
    Yes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Did you log some exercise?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, this hurts my brain. >.<
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you exercise then you can eat more.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Your caloric intake amount increases based on exercise activities that you log.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    When your calorie goal went up, had you logged calories that you burned working out? With MFP, the initial calorie goal already has a deficit built in (meaning you should lose weight eating that amount of calories, with NO exercise), so any calories you burn when you work out get added to your goal and you get to eat them back.

Hopefully this is what you meant, and hopefully this is helpful to you!
  • samncam
    Options
    hi all hmm well my daily goal is 1640.. ive oly ate like 700cals today but im totally fine with that had a really late morning up at 11.30am and had a main dinner of over 500cals an snacks but also did over 700cals burnign with workouts so ive technically burnt off more than ive ate?? i mean thats good aint it? lol x add me as im only 3 days new on here and would love help and advice and following stories help inspire me:) x
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be burning more than you're eating. Think about it like this, we need calories like a car needs gas, because it powers all of the things we do, such as breathing, walking, talking, exercising, etc. If you try to drive your car (exercise) once the tank is empty how are you going to be able to do that? This is why it's good to follow the MFP recommendations, because it helps you find that balance where you're at a healthy deficit to lose weight, but eating enough to still fuel your body, and not too much so you don't gain.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    hi all hmm well my daily goal is 1640.. ive oly ate like 700cals today but im totally fine with that had a really late morning up at 11.30am and had a main dinner of over 500cals an snacks but also did over 700cals burnign with workouts so ive technically burnt off more than ive ate?? i mean thats good aint it? lol x add me as im only 3 days new on here and would love help and advice and following stories help inspire me:) x

No. Your body burns calories regardless of whether you exercise just do to breathing, keeping your heart beating, digesting food, etc. That is called your Basal Metabolism Rate (BMR) and is probably somewhere between 1300 and 1800 calories depending on your height and weight. You then burn MORE calories by doing things like walking around, walking upstairs, standing up and sitting down, this is called your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and can vary a lot by how active you are, but is going to be several hundred calories higher than your BMR. So if you are a very small person you are burning no less than 1500 calories easily by just living life every day, and probably more like 2200-2600. When you exercise, you burn even more calories.

The goal MFP set you is based on losing 2 pounds according to your stats (to give BMR) and the activity level you set (TDEE). It doesn't calculate exercise calories into that, so when you do exercise you can eat more to maintain the same calorie deficit.

There are a lot of people on here that will tell you to eat those calories back and a lot who will tell you to just take the larger deficit. All of the scientific studies I've read suggest that eating too few calories for an extended amount of time will eventually slow your metabolism.

What works for me is eating no less than my BMR, and generally aiming for 200-500 calories below my TDEE and eating back all exercise calories. I like food too much to restrict myself to only 1,200 calories a day.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yes it's probably from adding exercise.
    Under the totals it might say "you've earned 300 calories from exercise today!" eat them. they are delicious. you've earned them.

imma send you a request. I like being all up in people's bizzness ;)
  • samncam
    Options
    soooo does that mean if ive burned more than ive eaten i can have a mcdonalds?lol x
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    soooo does that mean if ive burned more than ive eaten i can have a mcdonalds?lol x

Yes. Well, you can have a McDonald's anyway.