1/4" cube of cheese

Options
I want to record my cheese, but am not sure what is exactly meant by the 1/4" cube of cheese measurement when I do a search for Black Diamond old Cheddar Cheese. It's 120 calories so I want to be sure! If 1/4" wide, then how long? the whole width?

Replies

• starjumper12
    Options
    i would assume that a 1/4" cube would be 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4"

i don't cube my cheese for sandwiches, so i weigh it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    just buy a digital scale and weigh everything. that way you know its correct.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    A cube is the same dimension in height, width, and depth. Hence, A CUBE!
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    It means 1/4" on each side. A cube is a square.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Usually the measurement needs to be the same on all 3 sides to be considred a cube.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    just buy a digital scale and weigh everything. that way you know its correct.

Great idea. Can I borrow a sawbuck?
  • Countryboy_
    Options

Actually a square is two dimensional, and a cube is three dimensional. A cube is not a square.
  • TerminatorFRS86
    TerminatorFRS86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    go by grams...its easier...the whole brick is x amount...so divide it up accordingly...a lil kitchen scale will be awesome for this if you want to be very accurate!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Guessing it comes in a block and they are referring to a slice of cheese cut from the block that is a quarter inch thick.

I personally would weigh it and go by what's on the package, put in a new entry if you need.

Or. Cheese for the most part is cheese, and an ounce has about 100-110 calories most ways you spin it for cheddar.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1/4" cube is frickin tiny.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I want to record my cheese, but am not sure what is exactly meant by the 1/4" cube of cheese measurement when I do a search for Black Diamond old Cheddar Cheese. It's 120 calories so I want to be sure! If 1/4" wide, then how long? the whole width?

a cube is a three dimensional square, so all sides need to be 1/4 inch.

that's all.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

120 cals for a 1/4 inch cube of cheese???!!!! you might want to recheck that.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    go by grams...its easier...the whole brick is x amount...so divide it up accordingly...a lil kitchen scale will be awesome for this if you want to be very accurate!

A pound of sharp cheddar weighs more than a pound of gouda. True story.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Exactly. If you don't have a scale this is the best way to do it. If the package says 8 servings, just cut it into 8 equal pieces. 120 calories for a 1/4 inch cube sounds high. A 120 calorie serving for the cheeses that I eat is usually more of a 1 inch cube.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options

Actually a square is two dimensional, and a cube is three dimensional. A cube is not a square.

And math wins again ;-)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options

120 cals for a 1/4 inch cube of cheese???!!!! you might want to recheck that.

That is what I was thinking. No piece of cheese that small is worth 120 calories! $25 will get you a great digital food scale. That way you can know for sure!
  • risenonlytofall
    Options

I'm sorry, I should have specified that a cube merely looks like a square on each side. How silly of me.
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's 1 AND 1/4" cube! I weigh mine but if you just slice a piece off the brick about half an inch that works out to be the same.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

A pound of sharp cheddar weighs more than a pound of gouda. True story.
    And a pound of muscle?? :bigsmile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What the hell have I just read?