Am I really suppose to eat all that!?

Options

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    No, just eat back what you can. Make sure you're not "going hungry" but don't worry about replenishing ALL those calories. It's not even possible, and/or healthy.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Wait...why is is to unrealistic to believe the OP burned 3500 calories in a "few hours".....if its like 3 hours, and the OP weighs 370 lbs....is that really SO impossible? :ohwell:

Oh, and to answer the question...no, as long as you're eating enough to sustain that activity level!
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    Obese people tend to overestimate burn and underestimate calories consumed
    Underweight people tend to overestimate their own intelligence.
    There, see, we can both make sweeping and generally unfounded generalizations about large groups of people.

I think I love you!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    So engaging in a discussion of the purported facts in someone's post = "a-hole"? That's where we are now on MFP?

Oh, wait, never mind...that where we've *always* been on MFP.

I suppose next you'll tell me that they're not only "a-holes", but they're also "mean".

Since this was directed at me, I'll bite. Another poster down the line summed it up best:
    I believe he is referring to the genius whose vocabulary consist No, You and Didn't. Not much help coming from that guy.

That's neither fact nor helpful. Like it or not, that's just someone being an a-hole.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Wait...why is is to unrealistic to believe the OP burned 3500 calories in a "few hours".....if its like 3 hours, and the OP weighs 370 lbs....is that really SO impossible? :ohwell:

Moderate cardio burns around 10 cals a minute. 3500 cals in 3 hours would be almost double that. Sustained for 3 hours. And he wasn't running.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Moderate cardio burns around 10 cals a minute. 3500 cals in 3 hours would be almost double that. Sustained for 3 hours. And he wasn't running.
    Surely the '10 cals a minute' is based on an average weight (much like the treadmill at my gym is set at like 150 lbs). The OP's weight is most likely double what that calculation you're referencing is based on....
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

You're not taking into account his weight, load being carried, terrain or actual speed he was hiking. I agree it wasn't 3500 cals burnt in 3 hours (OP even admitted he mispoken) but it could very easily be in the 2500 range.

None of this even matters. The OP simply wants to know if he should try to eat back a significant amount of calories after a long hike.

I've been in the Army 12 years and have conducted numerous ruck marches with loads up to 85 lbs going up to 26 miles. I usually pack some reasonable snacks and I might eat bigger meals than normal. I give my body what I feel it needs. I'm not going to splurge just because I burned more calories than normal for one day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Surely the '10 cals a minute' is based on an average weight (much like the treadmill at my gym is set at like 150 lbs). The OP's weight is most likely double what that calculation you're referencing is based on....

Higher than average bodyweight would potentially drive the cal/minute number higher, but it would also make it less likely that the individual could actually sustain a high enough level of intensity.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So engaging in a discussion of the purported facts in someone's post = "a-hole"? That's where we are now on MFP?

Oh, wait, never mind...that where we've *always* been on MFP.

I suppose next you'll tell me that they're not only "a-holes", but they're also "mean".

Since this was directed at me, I'll bite. Another poster down the line summed it up best:
    I believe he is referring to the genius whose vocabulary consist No, You and Didn't. Not much help coming from that guy.

That's neither fact nor helpful. Like it or not, that's just someone being an a-hole.

So it wasn't some "a-holes" that were conspiring to keep OP from doing what he loves to do, it was just this one "a-hole"? That's one very powerful "a-hole".

Now, what if it turns out that this particular "a-hole" is correct in his assessment? Then what? Discount it because he didn't share his opinion in a prescribed appropriate forum response manner?

And I'm reasonably certain this particular "a-hole" wasn't trying to keep the OP from doing anything...well, except maybe from trying to eat back 4000 calories. That doesn't make him an "a-hole" in my book, even if you don't approve of how he said it.

(Full disclosure: I'm not saying this guy *isn't* an "a-hole"...but this particular thread isn't compelling evidence to me that he is.)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    why would you even think about eating over 10,000 calories in a day? that's insane..
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    you don't know me or what I do. I work my @s$ off 4+ hrs a day/ 6 days a week working out. And at 285 lbs that does mean a big calorie burn. Some things I do like yoga is only gonna burn a few hundred calories whereas some things I do burns over a 1000 calories in one hour like the stair stepper machine. You do realize that when a heavier person does the same exercise they burn more calories, right? Its ridiculous to think that someone my weight would burn the same as someone 150 lbs. Lemme tell ya. Exercise is hard enough at my weight. I sure as hell don't need to take any *kitten* off you. Half the thin/fit people I see at the gym don't have the endurance and determination that I have. Yesterday I worked out for 5 hours and burned over 4000 calories. (Was there for almost 7 hours but I take breaks between the hard stuff.) I've come a really long way and I don't need your approval so you think what you want. It doesn't matter what you think I burned. 45 mins weight training, 45 mins cross trainer machine, 45 mins elliptical w/arms, 45 mins stair treadmill, 60 mins R.I.P.P.E.D. class, 60 mins yoga. At my weight that stuff can really add up.
    You worked out for 5 hours? :noway: why?
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I routinely burn 3000-4000 calories in my workouts. On a rest day my calorie limit is 1700. On a day I workout I don't really have a "limit," I just eat what I need to replenish my body from such a huge burn. Yesterday I ate 2500, but burned over 4000.

You're going into negative calroies on your active days... who gave you that advice? You're doing a disservice to your organs and health with that minus 1500 calories.

It's echoed prettty well all over these forums not to do that. Keep up with your RMR and BMR suggestions.
  • Noo. BUT PLEASE eat some high fat/calorie foods (fat is just made of calories) like peanutbutter (lots of it) with jelly sadwich, fill a bag of different nuts like peanuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, pecans, and DRIED fruit has TONS of calories so throw in aot of cranberries, apriocts, blueberrys, ect. Please dont try to up your calories by eating Junk like pizza. These healthy foods i listed above are high in calories YET still help you loose weight on your hike. I will list some 'recipes' below for eat, to help with your hiking!

TIP; eat before,during,and after your hike!

high energy Trail Mix

1 cup of asorted nuts
    1 cup of asorted dried fruits
    3/4 cup of chocolate chips
    2/3 cup of peanutbutter chips
    1 tsp. of salt
    1/2 tsp. of oil (your choice of oil
    2/3 cup of coconut flakes

Pb& J sandwich (high energy )

1 tablespoon of jelly
    3 tablespoon of nut butter (peanut or almond)
    1 tablespoon of sliced peanuts (or any nuts)
    1 tsp of chocolate nuttella
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Now, what if it turns out that this particular "a-hole" is correct in his assessment? Then what? Discount it because he didn't share his opinion in a prescribed appropriate forum response manner?

It isn't like I am sitting here clutching my pearls or anything over the tone of comments on MFP, however just because someone is (potentially) right doesn't mean they have to be rude. But, whatever. People reserve the right to bring whatever attitude they wish to any conversation, whether in real life or online.
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I went hiking and burnt over 3500 calories in just a few hours.

No you didn't

I've actually burned 3500 calories on a 10 mile hike as well according to my HRM. My wife who also uses her HRM has burned between 1500-2000 calories on longer hikes. I've lost almost 10lbs in one week just from hiking. Just last week I finished a 10.5 mile hike in just over 3 hours.

The HRM says it...

...you believe it...

...that settles it.

I've lost a lot of weight doing what I love. Whether I'm right or wrong I'm seeing results and that's all I care about.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There, see, we can both make sweeping and generally unfounded generalizations about large groups of people.

Not unfounded http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701
    I can provide more if you want

Do you have any way of backing up your claims?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

This study asked people to try and remember what they ate the next day not record at the time of eating, not the same thing.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

This study asked people to try and remember what they ate the next day not record at the time of eating, not the same thing.

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/CalorieUnderestimation-JMR2007.pdf
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/CalorieUnderestimation-JMR2007.pdf

Hey hey now...

...enough with the facts.

Let's get back to calling each other names.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I finally found a use for the ignore button.

How did I not know there is an ignore button!!??

Wow didn't know there was one either. That sure does make life on the forums so much more pleasant, not having to see those walls of text constantly.