I got my sister to log!

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
My youngest sister is 15 years younger than me (38) and probably 200 pounds heavier. Last year she did a supervised weight loss at 800 calories/day, lost 50 pounds, but put it all back on plus a little.

Although I knew she wanted to get into better shape, I said NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING when she spent 5 days visiting and eat so much more than I knew she wanted to. (I had already repeatedly mentioned MFP and logging over the last few months.) She is very sensitive on the topic of her weight. I also was very worried that when we walked around town at even a modest pace she was out of breath and her color looked to me like she was having serious health issues.

She had started a facebook list to talk about her efforts to stay healthy and I wanted to be supportive but not pushy and to stay on her 'safe' list.

Anyway . . .

Two days ago she wrote a despairing comment about how disgusted she was with herself, how she needed to lose weight, and how it was so hard for her to keep anything up for more than a few weeks. She also said she felt that if she went on a diet again she wouldn't be able to eat out and it was just too hard.

I suggested she just try logging to figure out how much she was eating right now.

And she started today! And posted over and over about all the things I wanted to say but held my tongue about (like that the double chocolate muffin she eats for breakfast is 800 calories).

She is SO excited to learn something about the choices she's been making so she can make better choices. Knowledge is power!

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    this is fantastic =D
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That is great! Way to be patient, sis!
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My little sister is the reason I found MFP! It has made such a difference for me and I am so glad she told me about it. It's not about deprivation, it's about fueling your body and making wiser choices, taking things one day at a time. I hope your sister has the same experience I did. My life has changed for the better. :)
  • cfrey917
    cfrey917 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is ready....Great News...I've lost 75lb...maybe our stories will help to encourage her ;)
  • mangusjm
    Options
    That is so awesome!! Yay!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good. Using a soft touch is often the best way to encourage.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!