When to say "Screw it!"

Options
Is there a point where you give up on eating healthy for the day? Like you've gone SO FAR out of your calorie range that's it's like honestly, you might as well not even try to skip that last meal because you're already so far gone?
I've had waffles, a chicken breast, about 10 cookies, half a bag of chips, and a few pieces of candy. My mother is making spam for dinner (My favorite!) and at this point damn it, I'm ready to have two sandwiches and say screw it!
Tomorrow's another day, afterall? It didn't take me one day to gain the weight, it's not going to come back by those final two sandwiches?

Replies

• FeliciaFitRNModel
    Options
    no
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    well you could take that road. OR you could rein it in and try to gain some control. that's totally up to you. i would say for most of us once we start sliding down that slippery slope it's hard to stop. hang in there...
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I usually don't let one bad meal turn in to another. Each to his own. Make tomorrow better.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just because you fell down half a flight of stairs, doesn't mean you should fling yourself down the other half.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to give up on a binge.

I have struggled with bulemia and binge eating since my early teens, and i now consider it an achievement if i can put down the bag of chips while there are still some in it. I can say no to that second sandwitch. I can retain a little tiny bit of dignity and know that it is 300 calories less i will have to burn off.

It is never too late to say no.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Just because you fell down half a flight of stairs, doesn't mean you should fling yourself down the other half.

<3 this!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Try and make up for it over the next week with extra exercise and eating a bit less so you don't feel bad for it or yes just forget it and start afresh from your next meal.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your theory is basically equivalent to dropping your phone on the floor, picking it up, seeing that its ok, and proceeding to smash it to pieces because it didn't break on the first drop.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    your mindset seems to be that of a dieter, and not so much that of someone who is serious about changing habits and losing weight in the long run...i have this same mindset (the former) about half of the time as well. but if you (we) say things like "I'll start again tomorrow" it's kind of implying that you're not ready to being living healthily (?) right now... don't know if that makes any sense it's mostly something i've learned from a dietician. whats more important is that you do whats best for your body right now... despite what happened earlier today. if you're hungry, eat just make good choices! :) and yeah, tomorrow is a new day but why not start now?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I think part of creating a healthy lifestyle for yourself is creating new habits. A new habit you may want to work on is the ability to step back when your are feeling destructive. Ask yourself WHY you binge (stress? sadness? fear?) and see if you can learn to address that in a different way.

The impulse to just say "screw it" is pretty normal, but it will be more empowering to sit with an imperfect day and realize that your habits overtime are what really matter. Over time, stepping back will get easier and you will be able to do it before the 10 cookies. ;)
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No !
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

QFT
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haha! Love it!(:
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't Do It!! You are better than that!

I am all about indulging (in moderation) and eating things you enjoy! BUT, but, that doesn't mean going crazy.

Since you are already in bad shape for the day...here's what I would do: Slow down, eat a reasonable amount for dinner, drink plenty of water and go to bed. Tomorrow is a new day! Get back on the horse, get some exercise and clean up your eating.

Just remind yourself that it's all about choices...and little choices add up to big change.

To prevent this from happening again, build in enjoyable foods on a regular basis so you can have them without going over. And plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead!
  • KatyCrum6969
    Options
    Your theory is basically equivalent to dropping your phone on the floor, picking it up, seeing that its ok, and proceeding to smash it to pieces because it didn't break on the first drop.
    Yeah, but a broken phone is a broken phone. I'm thinking of today as an already messed up day. So I dropped my phone and broke it, and in anger I want to smash it to pieces.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    yeah, i've done that a couple of times. i just log it all and start fresh the next day. no one is perfect and it will happen. don't beat yourself up over it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is there a point where you give up on eating healthy for the day? Like you've gone SO FAR out of your calorie range that's it's like honestly, you might as well not even try to skip that last meal because you're already so far gone?
    I've had waffles, a chicken breast, about 10 cookies, half a bag of chips, and a few pieces of candy. My mother is making spam for dinner (My favorite!) and at this point damn it, I'm ready to have two sandwiches and say screw it!
    Tomorrow's another day, afterall? It didn't take me one day to gain the weight, it's not going to come back by those final two sandwiches?

That sounds like a binge.

Yes, tomorrow is another day, but no I don't "give up." Ever. Why would I? Not knowing the size of the cookies, chips, and candy, I would say that your biggest problem today is a lack of protein. Eat the spam. Fry it in a pan, and eat it with a fork instead of making it into a sandwich.
  • KatyCrum6969
    Options

That sounds like a binge.

Yes, tomorrow is another day, but no I don't "give up." Ever. Why would I? Not knowing the size of the cookies, chips, and candy, I would say that your biggest problem today is a lack of protein. Eat the spam. Fry it in a pan, and eat it with a fork instead of making it into a sandwich.
    Honestly it was a binge. I had to fight myself not to purge earlier, but I made it out of the woods. (I know, terrible habit! I blame my teenage years.) The cookies were the little chips ahoy ones, but still. And I will do that with the spam, it sounds helpful.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's one of my biggest self-inflicted obstacles.

I know it, I own it, but I still do it. I'm definitely working on it.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No. It's that hopeless, "oh I already screwed up so why not" feeling that got me where I was. I would never make it to the finish line if I kept that attitude.