Begin running or increase incline??? Advice please

Options
I've been walking for a month, every single day and I am walking about a 3.3 pace and am up to 60 minutes. I supplement that with time on the bike because the treadmill only allows us 60 minutes at the Y. I do not get winded at all and my heart rate rarely climbs over 127. When I increase the speed it puts me into a slow plodding jog due to my short stumpy legs. I don't really feel like I am getting the intensity of work out that I was two weeks ago. My question is what would be the better approach for calorie burning as well as cardio improvement...to increase the incline and continue at the same speed and distance or to increase the speed and begin the transition into running? Is it too soon for me to consider running especially since I am still so fat? ( not to mention OLD)
Thanks for any advice...I've been out of shape for a long time and I don't want to screw this up by going at it the wrong way.

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think its totally up to you what you want to do. If you want to start running, I suggest couch to 5k (c25k.com) to work your way into running. If you want to increase your incline, that would burn more calories, too. Sometimes when I have a 4 yr old running around, I crank my incline and walk so its easier to attend to his needs. However, I usually run. You can do whatever you want!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. You are correct that, as your fitness improves, you need to increase the intensity of the workload.

Increasing the incline will do that just fine (just don't hold on to the handrails).

So will running.

The choice is really up to you (and you could do a little of both if you wanted). For people who don't want to run, incline walking can be a great workout and a great calorie-burner. Again, don't hold on, and go with a lower speed/higher incline combo--e.g. instead of 3.3 mph, try 2.0-2.4 mph with a 6%-10% hill. It will take some getting used to, but it's a good workout.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is such a thing as being too fat or old to run. If you can do it without pain, then do it.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I alternate between the 2. Run one day, incline the next.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    forget the incline. run 2 minutes/ walk 2 minutes repeat till tired. If you can do that for longer than 45 minutes then start running with no walking.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I started running at 53 so don't say you're too old. You could check out the C25K program and start running that way or just bump your speed up to where you feel comfortable running and run for intervals. I'm short and I can maintain a brisk walk until 4 mph and I usually run at 5.5 to 6 now. Running is a great workout!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else and look into the C2 5k app. Im certainly not breaking records (speed/time) but I'm feeling better. I actually started it at a slight incline vs. flat. Once I complete the 8th week (again...it's taken me MUCH longer), I plan on starting the program over again, but at a higher speed. Your body is stronger than your mind. ;)
  • faireplay
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess I am over thinking this. I think I will try the C25K first since working my way up to running is one of my goals...though I wonder if that is going to be problematic changing the speed up and down on the treadmill? Can't hurt to try, just wish me luck in not embarrassing myself by falling off the treadmill :-D
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    do both, challenge yourself in different ways. plus walking sometimes, even if it is challenging will be less impact.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I do intervals on the treadmill, it's not a problem to change the speed or the incline up or down. If you Google treadmill interval workouts or HIIT you might get some other ideas to look at too.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    No more talk here of being old! I will be 62 next week -- and I am just getting my running ramped up ... it will take some time.
    My one mile on the treadmill took me 20 minutes today! But I will keep moving. . . .

I did aqua fitness during the summer in our pool with twenty pounds weights....getting a bit cold for the pool now.

I want to be able to keep up and run fast to catch up with my grandson (he's five)!!

All have a great Thanksgiving! :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why does it have to be either or? if you're doing this every day you can do 3 day run and 3 days walking on an incline, right?
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I started C25K 3 weeks ago. I'm still 211 pounds. I LOOOVEEE it!!! I'm down to 14.5 minutes per mile!! If you have a smart phone, you can download a free Couch to 5K app. I have one called Simple C25K. It beeps and vibrates when you need to change speeds from walking to running and vice versa, and it keeps track of which week and day you are on. I just manually change the speed on the treadmill. I kind of thought it would have been a pain to do that at first too, but it's really not too bad.

Edit to say, on my non-running days, I just walk or do the elliptical.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying both. I did a lot of walking at a steep incline on the treadmill last summer because I was trying to condition myself for hiking. Don't underestimate treadmill "hiking", it can burn a lot of calories and send your heart rate soaring, but it does get boring after an hour.

I am not big into running but I do it to switch things up all the time.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I started C25K 3 weeks ago. I'm still 211 pounds. I LOOOVEEE it!!! I'm down to 14.5 minutes per mile!! If you have a smart phone, you can download a free Couch to 5K app. I have one called Simple C25K. It beeps and vibrates when you need to change speeds from walking to running and vice versa, and it keeps track of which week and day you are on. I just manually change the speed on the treadmill. I kind of thought it would have been a pain to do that at first too, but it's really not too bad.

Edit to say, on my non-running days, I just walk or do the elliptical.

I think I'm going to try that app. :flowerforyou: I just ordered a new treadmill to replace my work-down 8+ year old one and it would be the perfect time to transition towards running. I started at 2.5mph at 3% incline; I currently do 3.0mph at 10-15% incline the entire time to maintain 85% MHR and maximize cal burn (800-1200/hr). However, there's no reason what I can't alternate like another poster suggested.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    u can increase ur burn by using the hill option. It's hard at first but after awhile you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier because you burn twice as many calories.....
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Never walk on a dreadmill with out being at at least 3% incline or it does most of the work and you dont get as much out of it a nice walk at 10% incline does some wonders :)
  • killedbythesun
    Options
    Definitely increase the incline.
  • navydx
    Options
    if you are worried about the impact of running and want to get your heart rate up go for increasing the incline. I was told about moving it up to a 15 degree incline and just walking at 3.0 and how it would kick your butt. I didn't believe it but then i tried it and it will get you winded and you will see results with it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Alternate days of each- incline one day, jog the other day. The incline is easier on your joints and will train your cardiovascular system, but nothing but actually running will get you to your goal of running.