Exercise to help with pain?

Options
Just wondering what people would suggest are good exercises for people in constant pain?

Obviously being in constant pain is evil! and means that my motivation to exercise is limited because it hurts to exercise and it hurts to not exercise. So it's a bit of a catch 22. I try and walk as much as possible on my crutches, i do yoga and i try and swim when i can. Impact exercise is no good for me as most of the pain at the moment is in my ankles, knees and hips, in my chest (rib cage) and neck so running/jogging etc are out, always any exercise that makes me breathless as i can't breathe.

I also have a lot of pain in my lower back so doing crunches/sit ups and things like that are out as well.

I'm finding at the moment that if i walk everyday (walking the dog) or shopping i'm wiped out after 20 minutes, or i do a whole week of exercise just walking 20 mins + a day and then it wipes me out for 2 weeks! Or i'm having to have a nap about 6pm because i'm exhausted.

I've been to the doctor about the pain and they have given me EVERYTHING they can give me apparently. But i am going to book another appointment too see if i can get referred to someone else like a pain management clinic or something.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, as obviously i want to exercise and i hate being lazy but some days i can barely get off the sofa, which is where i often sleep now because i move so much in the night due to pain and not being able to get comfortable any more.

I refuse to let this beat me because i want so badly to be a healthy weight but because of obvious reasons exercise is just not always possible for me.

I am starting swimming with a friend of mine soon so i'm hoping that will help me some, as swimming doesn't hurt (until i get out of the pool any way) and i might try and start aqua aerobics again as well. But just wondering what other ideas people might have?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Water exercise was my first thought so it's great that you have that in the works.
    Yoga or tai chi also come to mind.