Lunch for under 400 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cooked a mixture of black beans, corn, onions and red pepper cooked and served it over quinoa. Very filling and comes in at 394 calories and is high in protein and fiber.

Sounds good, but what the heck is QUINOA?????
  • GoChips333
    GoChips333 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb. of extra lean beef + 1/2 packet of taco seasoning = Approx. 325-350 cals. High protein.
  • sh2010
    sh2010 Posts: 12
    Options
    Salad (Lettuce, Tomatoe, Cucumber) with 5 tsp Low Calorie Italian Dressing (10 cals per tsp)

and I added 4 slices of this thin cut turkey deli meat to it (the brand is Buddig) which is only 10 calories per slice :)

Trim Plus Shake with 1 cup 1% milk = 245 cals

Didn't count it all up, but pretty sure it's close to 400 :)
  • sh2010
    Options
  • sh2010
    Options
    I cooked a mixture of black beans, corn, onions and red pepper cooked and served it over quinoa. Very filling and comes in at 394 calories and is high in protein and fiber.

A quinoa grain is flat and has a pointed oval shape. The grains exist is several colorations, including yellow, red, brown and black. When cooked, quinoa expands to about three or four times its size. It also has a unique texture; the grain itself is smooth and creamy, but the tail of the grain has a crunchy texture.

When preparing quinoa, you should rinse it first to remove any powdery residue. The simplest way to do this is to place the grains in a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. For a roasted flavor, toast the quinoa in a dry skillet for about five minutes.

To cook, bring one part quinoa and two parts liquid to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the grains are translucent. You can also use a rice cooker to prepare quinoa. Some people cook and eat quinoa as they would oatmeal. As a breakfast food, combine the quinoa with honey, nuts or berries.

(It is VERY yummy, I like to eat mine mixed with a bunch of steamed veggies)
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Safeway Eating Right label. Their frozen meals are very good, good portion, low sodium, and low calorie. 250-400 depending on what you have. I had Chicken Poblano today, and it was yummy!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Quinoa is an alternative to rice and other grains. It is a great source of energy and is gluten free! It's so yummy as a side dish when it's cooked with broth in place of the water.
  • anibabaa
    Options
    My worst fear with canned soups and food products is the amount of sodium in them. Waaaaayyyyyyy to high.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

A quinoa grain is flat and has a pointed oval shape. The grains exist is several colorations, including yellow, red, brown and black. When cooked, quinoa expands to about three or four times its size. It also has a unique texture; the grain itself is smooth and creamy, but the tail of the grain has a crunchy texture.

When preparing quinoa, you should rinse it first to remove any powdery residue. The simplest way to do this is to place the grains in a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. For a roasted flavor, toast the quinoa in a dry skillet for about five minutes.

To cook, bring one part quinoa and two parts liquid to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the grains are translucent. You can also use a rice cooker to prepare quinoa. Some people cook and eat quinoa as they would oatmeal. As a breakfast food, combine the quinoa with honey, nuts or berries.

(It is VERY yummy, I like to eat mine mixed with a bunch of steamed veggies)

Quinoa is an alternative to rice and other grains. It is a great source of energy and is gluten free! It's so yummy as a side dish when it's cooked with broth in place of the water.

Thanks!! I was a little perplexed...:S I will need to try it, b/c it would be a good alternative to rice. You have both helped me understand it. Have a great day!!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    They aren't really bad if that is about the only sodium you get during the day.
    My worst fear with canned soups and food products is the amount of sodium in them. Waaaaayyyyyyy to high.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

The sodium in the CAmpbell's Select Harvest Light is 460. Not sure if this is considered too high but considering this is only 1/5 of my total intake, I think its pretty good! Check it out! They are yummy!