Is there such a thing as to much water?

Options
Hello!
Just wondering if there is such a thing as drinking to much water and can it have a negative impact?

Thanks!

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no... well i mean technically there is but its unattainable unless you serriously try to over consume water to uncomfortable levels... drink as much water as u want.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water can be deadly. But in most normal cases (say even glass every 30 minutes), there shouldn't be anything wrong with having as much as you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    "Under normal circumstances, accidentally consuming too much water is exceptionally rare. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet huge amounts of fluid are still consumed"
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Long-term, yes. If you're drinking enough water to flush the electrolytes from your system, your fluids will become hypotonic and cause your cells to burst.

That takes a lot of water over a long period of time, though.

But anywhere over 4 liters a day can be potentially dangerous.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    no... well i mean technically there is but its unattainable unless you serriously try to over consume water to uncomfortable levels... drink as much water as u want.

Drinking enough to kill you may be really hard, but drinking enough to cause problems isn't that hard, especially when people are strictly limiting sodium and consuming a lot of water.
    My friend threw her electrolytes off by drinking too much water and eating a "clean" diet. She wasn't trying hard to consume uncomfortable amounts of water but she did drink a lot.
  • monty619
    Options

Drinking enough to kill you may be really hard, but drinking enough to cause problems isn't that hard, especially when people are strictly limiting sodium and consuming a lot of water.
    My friend threw her electrolytes off by drinking too much water and eating a "clean" diet. She wasn't trying hard to consume uncomfortable amounts of water but she did drink a lot.

if you are limiting sodium.. you are either a pro un-natural bodybuilder,or an idiot.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

if you are limiting sodium.. you are either a pro un-natural bodybuilder,or an idiot.

There are tons of people on this site who limit their sodium. Especially those who follow the Tosco Reno style Eat Clean diet. Here are just as many who preach the benefits of drinking copious amounts of water.
  • monty619
    Options

There are tons of people on this site who limit their sodium. Especially those who follow the Tosco Reno style Eat Clean diet. Here are just as many who preach the benefits of drinking copious amounts of water.

what benefits are there to limiting sodium below recomended daily intake...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm not saying there is a benefit. But it isn't uncommon here.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can't drink a lot of water. It messes my stomach up =/
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you only drink water when you're thirsty you'll never attain "Water Intoxication". I personally stick to 8-10 cups a day, depending if I've worked out or not! :drinker:
  • marvelscale
    Options

If your BP is high?
  • monty619
    Options

If your BP is high?

if ur BP is high you probably dont drink enough water to begin with.. or exercise.
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I took in 40 glasses Monday and didn't have any issues. Of course, I weight 260lbs and I hiked that day.
  • NatalieDumetz
    Options
    Hello!
    Just wondering if there is such a thing as drinking to much water and can it have a negative impact?

Thanks!

It depends on how you feel and what your body needs. :) as long as your not over doing it
  • Person192
    Person192 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about specific amounts. Different people need different amounts and you'll need more if you're exercising anyway. Just drink when you're thirsty. It would be hard to drink enough water to damage your body.
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options

What is a healthy amount of Sodium to have each day?

I drink ALOT of water and Herbal Tea (which is really just water I've been told) each day. I love water, I easily drink 3-4 liters(12-16 cups) a day. Now I'm wondering if I should force myself to cut back. I only drink when I am thirsty but I don't drink anything else.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Living in Arizona, there is almost no such thing as too much water if you're drinking small-ish amounts all throughout the day. In the summer I'll drink a gallon easily. I have heard that if you divide your body weight (in pounds) in half, that's how many ounces of water you should drink a day.

When I was 256#, that would have been 128 oz or one gallon.

This time of year I probably do between 10 and 14 ounces per day. More than 16-18 and I just can't get rid of it all.

I try to limit sodium for water retention and blood pressure purposes. By limit, I mean try really really hard to keep it under 2500 a day. On a really good day I get to around 1800. Today was not a good day--over 3500. I'm not trying to eliminate it completely, and when I am craving salt specifically I'll make sure to have some.

Hope this helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Living in Arizona, there is almost no such thing as too much water if you're drinking small-ish amounts all throughout the day. In the summer I'll drink a gallon easily. I have heard that if you divide your body weight (in pounds) in half, that's how many ounces of water you should drink a day.

When I was 256#, that would have been 128 oz or one gallon.

This time of year I probably do between 10 and 14 ounces per day. More than 16-18 and I just can't get rid of it all.

I try to limit sodium for water retention and blood pressure purposes. By limit, I mean try really really hard to keep it under 2500 a day. On a really good day I get to around 1800. Today was not a good day--over 3500. I'm not trying to eliminate it completely, and when I am craving salt specifically I'll make sure to have some.

Hope this helps.

That's a good point about where you live. Makes a huge difference. As does activity level and other factors.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    No, water is life, never heard of too much life....
  • monty619
    Options

What is a healthy amount of Sodium to have each day?

I drink ALOT of water and Herbal Tea (which is really just water I've been told) each day. I love water, I easily drink 3-4 liters(12-16 cups) a day. Now I'm wondering if I should force myself to cut back. I only drink when I am thirsty but I don't drink anything else.

the recomended amount is 2000mg a day but it ofcourse depends on age and activity level... if you are active or younger you need more etc.. but the main thing with sodium is that you need to be consistant with it.. so if you want to eat 3500mg sodium a day thats fine but stay consistant because its the release of the hormone aldesterone to regulate sodium levels that is what is ultimately more harmfull and could cause water retention so if you eat higher sodium then stay that way and dont eat more than ur normal amount so season ur food the same, and if you choose to eat lower sodium then do the same thing.