Correctly spell LOSE,

Options

Replies

• perfecting_emptiness
    Options
    Yes along with proper usage of apostrophes (they are not used to make things plural. It's not how many of you have baby's, it's babies!!), your and you're, then and than, and for goodness sakes top ending sentences with prepositions!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    thanks for that! I always screw it up. Now choose and chose?

Chose is the past tense of choose
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I just can not believe how many people do not know the difference between LOSE and LOOSE. Please take note:

LOSE is the opposite of GAIN
    LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT

LOOSE rhymes with NOOSE

Spread the word. It seems only about 50% or less know this. Thank you and have a good day!

I'm a writer and editor. And I am polite enough to not lecture and call people out on a message board.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It seems only about 50% or less know this.

A statistician as well it seems.

Is there no end to your talents?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    this annoys me also especially on facebook

Something can possibly add to the annoyance of being on facebook?

Powerful stuff ...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if everyone cared about correct grammar, spelling and punctuation, but I've kind of learned the hard way that they don't. I relinquished my title of grammar nazi long ago, but I admit at times it bugs the crap out of me, especially when I see entire posts with no punctuation or capital letters and multiple spelling mistakes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Grammarcactus.jpg
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Dead horse is dead.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    While I am not a fan of spelling errors, do take note of the fact that people with non-English speaking backgrounds also use this site.
  • sicoe17
    sicoe17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This also bothers me, but an unprovoked offensive attack supported by conjecture? You may be a teacher OP, however you are not their teacher.
  • Arya1967
    Arya1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    People for whom English is a second language tend to spell better than those for whom it's their first language. It makes sense; those learning it as a foreign language learn to spell words before they pronounce them, and for those for whom it's their first language it's the other way around.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, another one in danger of falling off their very high horse.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! That drives me crazy too.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Grammarcactus.jpg
    i giggled
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ONE! ONE nono thread! AH HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crank - put the "Count" picture back up - way funnier!!! But still very funny!!!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    It was spelled incorrectly on the IIFYM website, too..I had to laugh.
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    if you lose a lot of weight, your pants will be loose. :)
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I just can not believe how many people do not know the difference between LOSE and LOOSE. Please take note:

LOSE is the opposite of GAIN
    LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT

LOOSE rhymes with NOOSE

Spread the word. It seems only about 50% or less know this. Thank you and have a good day!

I LOVE you.... :flowerforyou:
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    oh btw OP, when you finally snap at your students for being stupid and not knowing the difference, remember

Te3zA.jpg

Awesome...I am keeping this forever.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    99.9% of us know what they meant when they typed lose or loose. If you don't understand the way they used one or the other, ask them. Go to school and be a teacher, leave your work there. You're putting people down and it's rude. Also, check the forums, this topic has been posted before and OFTEN. It's getting old. Rant over.