Heart Rate for Max Fat Burn?

Options
I've been exercising every single day for 7 days straight now. I've lost 4 pounds so I'm pretty happy with that for the first week.

I have been doing the elliptical, the AMT machine or swimming each day. My heart rate is usually about 140-143 at Max during most of the workout.

My husband went to a personal trainer this morning and was told for HIS personal max fat burn he shouldn't go over 110-115 max heart rate and to do something like a light treadmill work out with a pretty decent incline. He told my husband that anything over that consistently and you'll be burning tissue....and said that's why cyclists and runners are so lean looking because they get their heart rate going so high.

So if that's true, then should I not be working so hard on the cardio listed above?

I want to burn a lot of fat off this body. Advice?

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am 28, weight 221 and am 5"3...according to my Polar watch, I should be between 125 and 163 for max burn....hope this helps.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Hmm...my heart rate when I am casually walking is about 130, so that's out for me! I am an aspiring runner, so my hr is consistently around 195 for the duration of my run. It is above my "hard" range according to my hrm, but I can't get it to go lower until I am fitter I suppose. I've lost 40 lbs. and my hr has always been high, so I'm not sure about that...
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    Options
    Per my personal trainer and Jillian Michaels online, you should be at a high intensity (85% of your max heart rate) during aerobics. With that, you should not be doing more than 30 minutes of high intensity cardio as part of a regular workout (with strength training, etc.) or your normal fuel stores (calories and fat) will run out and your body will begin to burn muscle for fuel. This is where the men freak out because they work hard to build that muscle. Remember that mens and womens bodies are different and we usually have different goals. I'm sure that he same trainer would give you different parameters because your goals would be different.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Hmm...my heart rate when I am casually walking is about 130, so that's out for me! I am an aspiring runner, so my hr is consistently around 195 for the duration of my run. It is above my "hard" range according to my hrm, but I can't get it to go lower until I am fitter I suppose. I've lost 40 lbs. and my hr has always been high, so I'm not sure about that...
    Like you, for aerobics I am consistently in the 180 plus range on heart rate. But I started running recently and have found that as a course gets less difficult and I feel the ease in the run, that my heart rate will then stay in the 170s, so I guess conditioning does make a difference. But like Robby said, no more than 30 minutes. In all honesty, I don't think my body could run with my heart rate that high for longer than 30 minutes and not pass out.
  • Robby
    Options
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/thr.html

Try this website. Just put in your resting heart rate (as a nurse I recommend that you count your heart beats while looking at a second hand for a full minute for acurracy) and your age then hit CALCULATE.

Good luck!:smile:
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    for me i range from 120-169 bpm durin workout so i try to stay within that zone everyone ranges differently so it all depends :flowerforyou:
  • raisinkahne
    Options
    Idk if you already know what your hr range/max is, but you can find it by:

subtract your age from 220...that equals your max
    then multiply your max by 0.6
    then mutiply your max by 0.8

Your hr should stay within that range...just stay under your max.
  • teb1215
    Options
    Ok according to that link these are my stats:

Resting Heart Rate = 75 bpm
    Age = 34
    Max Heart Rate = 186

Intensity 50-55% = 131-136
    60-65% = 142-147
    70-75% = 153-158
    80-85% = 164-169

So if my heart rate has been around 140-143 during my 30 or 60 minute cardio sessions, then I'm working out at 60-65% intensity.

Therefore, isn't that perfect for fat burning?
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I copied this from a helpful post a couple of weeks back!
    Here's the original Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/76488-i-got-told-gym-won-t-help-me-lose-weight?hl=trainer+said+I+can't+lose+weight&page=2#posts-1047884

Target Heart Rates

AHA Recommendation
    Health professionals know the importance of proper pacing during exercise. To receive the benefits of physical activity, it's important not to tire too quickly. Pacing yourself is especially important if you've been inactive.

Target heart rates let you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. This approach requires measuring your pulse periodically as you exercise and staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is called your target heart rate.

What is an alternative to target heart rates?

Some people can't measure their pulse or don't want to take their pulse when exercising. If this is true for you, try using a "conversational pace" to monitor your efforts during moderate activities like walking. If you can talk and walk at the same time, you aren't working too hard. If you can sing and maintain your level of effort, you're probably not working hard enough. If you get out of breath quickly, you're probably working too hard — especially if you have to stop and catch your breath.

When should I use the target heart rate?

If you participate in more-vigorous activities like brisk walking and jogging, the "conversational pace" approach may not work. Then try using the target heart rate. It works for many people, and it's a good way for health professionals to monitor your progress.

The table below shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Look for the age category closest to yours, then read across to find your target heart rate.

Age Target HR Zone
    50–85 % Average Maximum Heart Rate 100 %
    20 years 100–170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
    25 years 98–166 beats per minute 195 beats per minute
    30 years 95–162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
    35 years 93–157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
    40 years 90–153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
    45 years 88–149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
    50 years 85–145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
    55 years 83–140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
    60 years 80–136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
    65 years 78–132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
    70 years 75–128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures above are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Note: A few high blood pressure medications lower the maximum heart rate and thus the target zone rate. If you're taking such medicine, call your physician to find out if you need to use a lower target heart rate.

How should I pace myself?

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What your trainer told you is a myth.

Moderately high heart rates will burn more fat in proportion to lean tissue, but the total number of calories burned will be low.

High intensity activity (around 80-85% of your max heart rate) will burn a lower fraction of its calories from fat, but this will be a smaller portion of a bigger pie (so to speak).

The best heart rate target is the one that leaves you exhausted at the end of your workout. If you only have 30 mins, doing a light jog isn't going to get the job done. If you've got 2 hours, maybe a light jog is better, because you need to last the distance!
  • tazlady
    Options
    wow thanks for posting that chart about hr for fat burn it really helps. I am 46 and was not sure even though on the treadmill i run /walk climb hills on has it listed right there.. not taking any medication for bp. thank god..
    QUESTION. Does anyone know where I can purchase a body bugg. like the ones on biggest loser?
    i know you have to purchase the service too.. any ideas? thanks Ellie
    ggw 160
    weight now 180
    hit a plateau on my bday at 180 not successful as losing any more weight since then
    I go to the gym 4 times a week 2 treadmill for 40 minutes burn about 300 calories
    and then I do weight training resistance to keep the burn..
    also take Bcaa branched chain amino acid to help with muscle retention..
    Questions #2 does anyone know why this website does not have sodium levels..
    important for those of us in our 40's who are retaining fluid... thanks Ellie :happy: :happy:
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    They are for sale at 24hourfitness.com.

You can change your settings to show sodium. Just go into your settings, and you can modify what you would like to show in your food diary :)
  • Kempy1968
    Options
    Hiya - the theory says that for maximum fat burn you should be working out at 55-60% of your TMHR ('theoretical maximum heart rate') - this is a theoretical maximum as it is worked out by a formula (rather like BMI) which is not accurate in all cases (there is a way to stress test to your MHR, but in my view that;s just too much trouble!) - instead just do 220 (bpm) minus your age, and work out what 55-60% of that is.. hey presto, that is your maximum fat burning zone:

So for me that is 220-40 (old geezer) = 180 is my max HR, then find 55-60% = so roughly 100-110. Over that and you go into the cardio zone, less effective for fat burn (but still useful for CV fitness).

In the early stages of training it is useful to do longer burn at a lower heart rate, than faster HR for long periods.

There is also some very recent evidence around interval training (short bursts in the higher HR zones, returning to 55-60% for say 10 mins, then bursts of 2 mins into higher zones again, returning back down) - this is thought to produce increases in fitness and weight loss.

As you get fitter it takes more effort to push your heart rate up to your required level.

This is one of the reasons that walking is so good for weight loss - longer burn at lower bpm.

Hope that helps.

Rob.
  • teb1215
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the good info. Ok so if my max heart rate is 186, then I should be at 102-111 for maximum fat burning calories?

That would be HARD to stay at that HR...wouldn't it?
  • Robby
    Options
    All numbers aside...going by your perceived exertion - can you carry on a conversation easily? then you aren't working hard enough. you should feel like you're really working but not so much that you can't answer a question if someone interupts you and asks you to speak - is the most effective way to gauge your workout. Intervals are the best way to burn fat because it keeps your body guessing and challenged, you'd be surprised how fast your body can adjust and create a habit.

Rated Perceived Exertion (RPE) Scale
    The RPE scale is used to measure the intensity of your exercise. The RPE scale runs from 0 – 10. The numbers below relate to phrases used to rate how easy or difficult you find an activity. For example, 0 (nothing at all) would be how you feel when sitting in a chair; 10 (very, very heavy) is how you feel at the end of an exercise stress test or after a very difficult activity.

0 – Nothing at all
    0.5 – Just noticeable
    1 – Very light
    2 – Light
    3 – Moderate
    4 – Somewhat heavy
    5 – Heavy
    7 – Very heavy
    10 – Very, very heavy

In most cases, you should exercise at a level that feels 3 (moderate) to 4 (somewhat heavy). When using this rating scale, remember to include feelings of shortness of breath, as well as how tired you feel in your legs and overall.

For the most efficient aerobic activity you should be between 4-7.

This info taken from www.clevelandclinic.org
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    tag :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Per my personal trainer and Jillian Michaels online, you should be at a high intensity (85% of your max heart rate) during aerobics. With that, you should not be doing more than 30 minutes of high intensity cardio as part of a regular workout (with strength training, etc.) or your normal fuel stores (calories and fat) will run out and your body will begin to burn muscle for fuel. This is where the men freak out because they work hard to build that muscle. Remember that mens and womens bodies are different and we usually have different goals. I'm sure that he same trainer would give you different parameters because your goals would be different.

Your body has enough stored glycogen and fat to exercise for hours, depending on the intensity. With extended cardio (longer than 60-90 min), amino acids can increase to as much as 15% of total fuel substrate usage. However, this does not mean you are burning "muscle" any more than using calcium in your daily activities means you are "eating your bones". The body is constantly undergoing a process of protein degradation and assimilation, 24/7/365/lifetime. The idea that a single exercise bout could affect muscle mass is absurd.

It's the intellectual equivalent of saying that lifting weights with 5lb dumbbells will "bulk you up".
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising every single day for 7 days straight now. I've lost 4 pounds so I'm pretty happy with that for the first week.

I have been doing the elliptical, the AMT machine or swimming each day. My heart rate is usually about 140-143 at Max during most of the workout.

My husband went to a personal trainer this morning and was told for HIS personal max fat burn he shouldn't go over 110-115 max heart rate and to do something like a light treadmill work out with a pretty decent incline. He told my husband that anything over that consistently and you'll be burning tissue....and said that's why cyclists and runners are so lean looking because they get their heart rate going so high.

So if that's true, then should I not be working so hard on the cardio listed above?

I want to burn a lot of fat off this body. Advice?

Your husband's "trainer" is a fraud whose "certification" is the only "tissue" you should be burning.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What your trainer told you is a myth.

Moderately high heart rates will burn more fat in proportion to lean tissue, but the total number of calories burned will be low.

High intensity activity (around 80-85% of your max heart rate) will burn a lower fraction of its calories from fat, but this will be a smaller portion of a bigger pie (so to speak).

The best heart rate target is the one that leaves you exhausted at the end of your workout. If you only have 30 mins, doing a light jog isn't going to get the job done. If you've got 2 hours, maybe a light jog is better, because you need to last the distance!

ding ding ding

Glad to see this post.

The "fat burning zone" is a myth of epic proportions.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Your husband's "trainer" is a fraud whose "certification" is the only "tissue" you should be burning.

My new hero for today. :)