using exercise calories

Options
I read the article written for newbies. Please don't get mad for asking a question you already answered :) I find it hard to believe if I burned 400 calories I can eat 400 calories? This seems like alot.

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm in great debate over this. I read it as well but it just doesn't seem right. I mean, why work your butt off to burn 400 calories just to eat them! Logically it doesn't make sense. So, I get the concept that if MFP sets my calories at 1380 to lose 1 lb a week, then to maintain I would need to eat 1580. Well, if I burn say 200 calories, that puts me at 1180 for the day which over time would put me into starvation mode so I see where I'd need to eat those 200 calories. But like I said, why work out then? Why not just eat 1380 calories and be done with it. I don't know! It's all crazy. I'm starving right now though--shoot!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    It's hard to wrap your brain around, I know, but after reading many posts and numerous articles I am convinced. My own weight gain I'm sure is from spending years in starvation mode. Eating more to lose more, quite a concept isn't it? Keep reading, and definitely keep eating, healthy of course.
  • mamacassi
    Options
    I can't live on 1,300 calories. I mean I can, but I can't. I wouldn't force myself to eat the calories if I didn't want them but I work out so I CAN eat more. I wish food had less calories to it but to live I have to, so. God knows, I'm in trouble if you aren't supposed to eat them back.
  • jacquismith
    jacquismith Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't do it! If I exercise and earn 400 calories I can't physically eat them..... me thinks there's something wrong but not sure what - I'll just have to do 100 calories and eat an apple? Confused, I am! :ohwell:
  • jacquismith
    Options
    Twentyten - I thought that as I used to eat very little but my boss told me that you don't see fat people in third world countries!
  • mamacassi
    Options
    You can't? Who can't eat an apple or some extra food? That confuses me.... I can eat anything, just with given time.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    You don't see healthy people in 3rd world countries either.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the point of exercise is more for fitness than weight loss, or for those that can't cut calories low enough it allows them to eat more. If you don't want to eat your exercise calories I would suggest changing your goal to maintenance and only eat those allotted calories, then what you loose will be based on the exercise you do.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I didn't believe it either when I first joined. I told my husband to expect a weight gain from me because this was the approach I was going to take. Who was I to fight science. Well Now it is 37 lbs later. I eat way more than I used to, although I definitely make healthier choices don't get me wrong its not like I could have added an extra order of fries. Healthy calories, but yummy food. I wont sacrifice flavor.

Believe it!! I like the other poster now realize that my years of weight loss efforts were sabotaged by eating too few calories and over exercising for the amount I ate. And to think I could have felt less hungry and lost my weight years ago.... Frustrating in hindsight.
  • jacquismith
    Options
    I suppose we're all different - I get to the stage where I just don't want to eat more than I do - I was anorexic when I was a teenager and I couldn't keep anything down, now I eat just enough food to cover my calorie intake, I still need to lose a few pounds but I don't want to get obsessed with what to eat and what not to. :happy:
  • Nener
    Nener Posts: 116
    Options
    well I'll trust you all who have the experience!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons you should eat back most of your workout calories is to provide fuel for your body to burn so it doesn't go after the muscle you're trying to build by working out. It also keeps your body out of starvation mode, which makes it horde calories instead of burning them. Hope this take helps.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    MFP already calculates a heatlhy deficit for you, when you enter your settings. The goal is to MAINTAIN that deficit. Some people with a LOT of weight to lose can handle a bigger deficit for a while, but it doesn't work so well to have a huge deficit with smaller amounts to lose.

If we want to maintain our weight loss fairly effortlessly, we need to learn to eat healthy quantities. Because what happens once we reach our goal weight and can actually eat normal amounts of food again? Do the pounds come piling back on? Or do we just throw in an extra handful of almonds plus an apple and we're good to go...at maintenance?

Exercise is intended to speed up your metabolism and to help tone your slimming body. Skinny fat is really not an attractive look. Keeping your metabolism revved helps your overall weight loss, and exercise helps rev it up.

But we still need to keep that healthy deficit...either 500 or 1000 calories, depending on our goals.

So the more you exercise, the more you need to eat to keep that 500 calorie deficit intact.