Worthwhile?

Options
I've been struggling to commit proper chunks of time to exercise this year, predominantly because I am self employed, bad at time management and perpetually feel like I haven't worked enough to exercise (especially once exercising becomes an activity that requires changes of clothes, and showers, and recovery time after).

The thought occurs to me that I could do spontaneous sets of push ups and situps and such when I take work breaks (for example 12 pushups while waiting for my toast to grill). I'm by no means talking heaps of strenuous exercise here, just occasional bouts of using those muscles. Is there any point? Could this contribute to my overall levels of fitness and strength?

(Don't bother to reply if you are just going to tell me to commit to a proper work out - I'm trying, and failing, and looking for a compromise).

Replies

• AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Im self employed too, but find this gives me flexibility to fit in a short workout when I like over the day. To some extent you just have to commit to it. I currently do either a 20 min run or a short exercise dvd every morning (30DS). Im finding this effective and helps me concentrate in the day. I tend to do it in the morning as I then fget to eel smug about it all day.

I do think 2-3 short bursts of exercise (say 10mins) would be effective, in fact even more so as you'd get afterburn each time too. Maybe some skipping plus your push ups or some ab work?
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I was working from home last yearr I struggled as well to find the passion to stay on a steady excerise program. Only three things ended up working for me.

I got Zumba for the xbox. I found that dancing didn't seem like excerise. I enjoy video games and it was more fun then anything else. That helped me lose almost 10 pds.

I also moved a excerise bike into my living room, so I could bike while watching TV like you can do at most gym's. I found this helped motivate me to actucally use it, but still rarely...

Lastly, and might I add most effective, I volunteered at a animal shelter as a dog walker. If you have any interest with animals I HIGHLY recommend it. You get excerise, and you are doing a HUGE service to your local community. I found it left me feeling satifed and left me wanting to go every day.

Just some suggestions.

Good luck!