Heart rate monitors - which one?

Options
need suggestions.. First i'm in Canada, so that can possibly limit which ones I'm able to get, and second, limited budget (single income house with 5 people), so looking to spend at the very very most $150.

I'm looking for a heart rate monitor that can monitor 24 hours a day how many calories I burn.. Have been looking at the polar ones but there are so many to choose from. Suggestions?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7, which I purchased on amazon.com, for $100. LOVE IT!
    It even has a nice design on the faceplate of the watch part of it (it has a watch & chest strap which work together)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar F7 for $90 at Amazon.com. I chose this one because of the research I did and recommendations I received.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 bought from amazon - may be cheaper now since the 7 is out!
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know Polar is one of the better brands, but it's not in my budget right now. One of my MFP friends told me to check out this site : http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors. I ordered the Omron HRM, on EBAY, for around $34. I know the more you spend the better the merchandise is, but from what I gather, you are like me - you want to get a decent estimate of what you burn daily, you are not training for a triathlon, so you don't have to get too crazy. I wanted the HRM because the machines at the gym seem off & i want to know what I burn at home doing my exercise dvd, etc. Hope this helps.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Bowflex Precision XT on the advice of a salesperson @ Sports Authority. She absolutely loves hers, and she said that she has worn it all day to monitor her caloric burn (I was also looking for one that I could wear all day). It even says on the packaging that you can wear it throughout the day. The cool thing about Bowflex v. the Polar is that you can change the batteries yourself. Also, I had a $10 coupon so it was only $80 v. the Polar which was $110.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem is that cheapo HRMs are likely no more accurate than machines at the gym or tables on MFP.