Olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, engine oil...

Options
I am a vegetarian who mainly cooks with olive oil (mostly for things like stir-frying veggies, making eggs, etc).

But I hear about a lot of different forms of oil that have their own advantages and I was wondering: Are there any other oils out there that you think are better?

And if you do, please state WHY they are better (lower calorie? lower fat? etc.), and if you would recommend using them for cooking, or for other things (like putting flax-seed oil on salad, for example).

Replies

• daz061
    daz061 Posts: 13
    Options
    all oils are similar in calorie. olive and ground nut oils i think are the best. make sure your olive oil is in a dark bottle as UV light can damage it. another new oil is rapeseed, it doesn't burn as easily as olive oil and is better for you, it's becoming popular in the UK now, a lot of the stuff is produced here.

engine oil....lol
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil because it is yummy. And I believe it makes my skin nicer.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use engine oil for its lovely smell. When making a stir fry, I pour it directly onto the propane stove. Seems to cook faster, and the clouds of smoke add a nice atmosphere to the house! Way easier than PAINTING the kitchen black!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is great. I also use coconut oil and hemp oil sometimes. Lately, I have been using peanut oil for stir fry.
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like you, I mostly use olive oil (light for cooking, extra virgin when I want the flavor). I also use canola oil for high heat and when I want a completely neutral flavor. And I keep nut oils in the fridge to add sparingly to salad dressings and stir fries, not because they're bad for you, but because they are strong.

Oh, yeah, I also keep hot chili oil to coat salmon before searing in a cast iron skillet. Haven't thought of any other uses for it yet, but it would probably work with firm tofu if you don't do fish. Either one would be great with those stir fried veggies!
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Like you, I mostly use olive oil (light for cooking, extra virgin when I want the flavor). I also use canola oil for high heat and when I want a completely neutral flavor. And I keep nut oils in the fridge to add sparingly to salad dressings and stir fries, not because they're bad for you, but because they are strong.

Oh, yeah, I also keep hot chili oil to coat salmon before searing in a cast iron skillet. Haven't thought of any other uses for it yet, but it would probably work with firm tofu if you don't do fish. Either one would be great with those stir fried veggies!

Couldn't have said it any better myself...
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert, but I have watched a lot of cooking shows.

Olive oil is great, but not for a stir fry. Olive Oil has a lower burn/smoke point than other oils.
    If you are really getting the temps you need for a proper stir fry, olive oil will make it a messy affair. They suggest standard veggie oil for stir dry, like canola, sunflower, peanut, or my strong preference for a great flavor: sesame oil.

The oils I keep on hand are a good extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, and canola oil (which is rapeseed oil, but it was rebranded back in the day, for understandable reasons).

Sorry, no health benefits to tout. Just a little info.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Hot chili oil is great on asian noodle dishes and stirfry. I make mine with 75% peanut oil and 25% sesame oil.

PS. Canola oil = rapeseed oil
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    all oils are similar in calorie. olive and ground nut oils i think are the best. make sure your olive oil is in a dark bottle as UV light can damage it. another new oil is rapeseed, it doesn't burn as easily as olive oil and is better for you, it's becoming popular in the UK now, a lot of the stuff is produced here.

engine oil....lol

Rapeseed oil may be new to you, but it's not new at all...

As this commentor states though, all oils are pure fat, so they have more-or-less identical levels of fat an calories per gram. The types of fat involved however (saturated, unsaturated) do vary. The type of fat I use depends on what I am doing with it (cooking, baking, salad dressing, seasoning). My "go to" oil for salads is hemp seed oil. While I prefer the flavor of a nice olive oil to hemp seed oil, the hemp seed doesn't have a bad flavor, and it has a more favorable omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acid ratio. Flax seed oil is also very good for raw applications. However, you should never cook with hemp or flax seed oil, as the structure of the fats change, and lose their health benefits at relatively low temps. You should also store hemp and flax oil in the fridge, as they go rancid very easily--in fact, I store all oil in the fridge (I take coconut out a little before I plan to use it, or else it is rock hard though).

For cooking, I mostly use extra virgin olive oil. Coconut oil has better health properties (you can heat it to higher temps before the structure of the fats change), but, I don't like its flavor in all foods. For sautes I prefer olive oil. For anything with a lot of spices, like Indian food, or anything that has coconut milk in it, I definitely use coconut oil. For me its a trial and error process, coconut oil has never made anything gross, there are just some applications where I prefer olive oil. I suspect that if I were to keep using coconut oil in everything, eventually I'd get accustomed to the taste. For stir-fries and other higher temp cooking I move between coconut oil and canola/rapeseed oil--peanut oil is also a good alternative for high temp cooking.

I also sometimes bake with coconut oil, but I find that for some foods, you get a coconut taste. I made chocolate chip cookies with it once, and felt like I was eating hand-soap flavored cookies. But that is just me, other people love them. For anything with a strong taste (gingerbread, chocolate cookies) coconut oil works well.

Finally, because they are expensive, I tend to save nut oils for things where they really shine--like a salad dressing made with walnut oil, or a small dash of good sesame oil to finish a stir fry. Sesame oil especially can add a lot of flavor, for just a tiny bit of added fat, if you add it at the very end of a recipe.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Coconut oil is said to raise the good number on your cholesterol, some people take it as a supplements. The only real bad guy i know of is trans fats everything else is fine.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I'm a fan of palm oil for high heat and longer shelf life. You have to do your homework and be careful where you purchase it from though, if you're concerned at all about the depletion of the rainforests.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert, but I have watched a lot of cooking shows.

Olive oil is great, but not for a stir fry. Olive Oil has a lower burn/smoke point than other oils.
    If you are really getting the temps you need for a proper stir fry, olive oil will make it a messy affair. They suggest standard veggie oil for stir dry, like canola, sunflower, peanut, or my strong preference for a great flavor: sesame oil.

The oils I keep on hand are a good extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, and canola oil (which is rapeseed oil, but it was rebranded back in the day, for understandable reasons).

Sorry, no health benefits to tout. Just a little info.

I have heard this as well. The same is true of hemp oil. It's good for low temps, but not high temps. Somewhere I heard that olive oil and hemp oil and high temps could cause a portion to turn to trans-fat as well. I haven't verified that though.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was recommended to use rice bran oil for cooking, but I can't remember why now! It has a high burn point so good for stir fries and had a list of other health benefits... Anyway I use that, and also keep extra virgin olive oil and some with flavour (avocado, walnut, toasted sesame and lemon are the ones I use most)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    another new oil is rapeseed, it doesn't burn as easily as olive oil and is better for you, it's becoming popular in the UK now, a lot of the stuff is produced here.

Just to translate (LOL), we call rapeseed oil "canola oil" in the US.
  • nestlingmagnet
    nestlingmagnet Posts: 8 Member
    Options

engine oil....lol

Rapeseed oil may be new to you, but it's not new at all...

As this commentor states though, all oils are pure fat, so they have more-or-less identical levels of fat an calories per gram. The types of fat involved however (saturated, unsaturated) do vary. The type of fat I use depends on what I am doing with it (cooking, baking, salad dressing, seasoning). My "go to" oil for salads is hemp seed oil. While I prefer the flavor of a nice olive oil to hemp seed oil, the hemp seed doesn't have a bad flavor, and it has a more favorable omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acid ratio. Flax seed oil is also very good for raw applications. However, you should never cook with hemp or flax seed oil, as the structure of the fats change, and lose their health benefits at relatively low temps. You should also store hemp and flax oil in the fridge, as they go rancid very easily--in fact, I store all oil in the fridge (I take coconut out a little before I plan to use it, or else it is rock hard though).

For cooking, I mostly use extra virgin olive oil. Coconut oil has better health properties (you can heat it to higher temps before the structure of the fats change), but, I don't like its flavor in all foods. For sautes I prefer olive oil. For anything with a lot of spices, like Indian food, or anything that has coconut milk in it, I definitely use coconut oil. For me its a trial and error process, coconut oil has never made anything gross, there are just some applications where I prefer olive oil. I suspect that if I were to keep using coconut oil in everything, eventually I'd get accustomed to the taste. For stir-fries and other higher temp cooking I move between coconut oil and canola/rapeseed oil--peanut oil is also a good alternative for high temp cooking.

I also sometimes bake with coconut oil, but I find that for some foods, you get a coconut taste. I made chocolate chip cookies with it once, and felt like I was eating hand-soap flavored cookies. But that is just me, other people love them. For anything with a strong taste (gingerbread, chocolate cookies) coconut oil works well.

Finally, because they are expensive, I tend to save nut oils for things where they really shine--like a salad dressing made with walnut oil, or a small dash of good sesame oil to finish a stir fry. Sesame oil especially can add a lot of flavor, for just a tiny bit of added fat, if you add it at the very end of a recipe.

Thanks for the awesome response! Very informative, exactly what I was looking for.
  • brightmorningsky
    Options
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best for no or low heat foods, they suggest canola oil for medium to high heat foods, but this is controversial since it is a genetically modified food. I've just been learning the benefits of coconut oil, which is fine for high temp cooking, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition. It is incredible and has so many uses in and on the body. Do a search about it, a good place to start is reading the article by Dr. Mercola in the Huffington Post. It needs to be raw and organic, though. The one I like is Nutiva, and I get it on Amazon or at Wegman's -- some cheaper brands I've bought don't even resemble, smell, or taste the same.

Hope that helps!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to cook with safflower oil as well as olive oil. I read that it is good because when heated it doesn't burn or turn into a trans fat like others do
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I suggest Canola/rapeseed oil in place of olive oil as it's probably what's in the bottle anyways and you're just paying more for dyes and flavorings and the ability to think you're actually using olive oil.

otherwise, I like sunflower oil, it has a slight nutty flavor, I use it in a lot of asian marinades and sauces/dressings. Peanut oil for high heat cooking, real olive oil for dressings and other cold applications, vegetable for greasing my cake pans and motor for the ole car.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use engine oil for its lovely smell. When making a stir fry, I pour it directly onto the propane stove. Seems to cook faster, and the clouds of smoke add a nice atmosphere to the house! Way easier than PAINTING the kitchen black!

^^^ I love this!!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use grapeseed oil, coconut oil, sesame oil for stir fry and palm shortening for deep frying I only use oilve oil for salad dressing