nightly cravings...augh..

Options
:explode: Anyone out there that have an idea to me or anyone from eatting after they hit the bed..
Its killing me. I mean I save cals for my nightly smorgassboard..:tongue:
I always end up eating more cals then i save..
Any idea that will help me from getting up at all?!!!:drinker:

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    How much do you save? Are you eating enough calories? Is it because you are hungry or bored? Are you drinking enough water?
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing. What I try to do, and it seems to help a little, is to surround myself with lower calorie foods at night. So I'll make a big bowl of homemade popcorn, or have a few apples ready for when I want to snack. It seems to be the only way I can not go way over my calories.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So many people have gotten into the habit, yes habit. of eating at night when they should be giving their stomachs and digestion the chance to do their work and help you sleep better as well. As is the habit of eating fatty salty sweet treats at night is not beneficial to the body and certainly does not help with your weight loss goal, why not try eating some fruit, like an apple. It's amazing how a single 80 calorie apple can fill a person up, or even an ounce of almonds, pistachios or walnuts, good protein, and satisfying. Eat slowly.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So many people have gotten into the habit, yes habit. of eating at night when they should be giving their stomachs and digestion the chance to do their work and help you sleep better as well. As is the habit of eating fatty salty sweet treats at night is not beneficial to the body and certainly does not help with your weight loss goal, why not try eating some fruit, like an apple. It's amazing how a single 80 calorie apple can fill a person up, or even an ounce of almonds, pistachios or walnuts, good protein, and satisfying. Eat slowly.

It truly doesn't matter when you eat. You can eat all of your calories 10 minutes before bed - and as long as it doesn't bother you to sleep with a full stomach (it doesn't bother me, but it does bother some people), you'll be fine. Meal timing and size is about personal preference only. Your digestive system is working 24/7, there is no on/off switch.
    If you want to cut out the night time snacking, that's fine. But, if you want to plan calories for that time of day, that's fine too.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    As with all bad habits, you have to make up your mind what you're going to do about it, then do it. It's that simple (and that hard).

I had to get rid of grazing between meals. It's too hard to track a bite of this and a nibble of that and a pinch of some other thing. So now - hard as it is sometimes - I don't do that. The pride I feel is worth the struggle.
  • blueeyedrunner71
    blueeyedrunner71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for your input.
    My real killer is cereal, which would not be bad
    But, I can’t stop at one bowel.
    It’s usually 2.augh..:ohwell:
    Thanks again...
    If you would like to be friends on here request me
    And I'll accept.:smile:
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    save more calories so you can have 2 bowls?
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    OK SAVED 300 CALS FOR WAKE AND EAT IN MIDDLE OF NIGHT..
    I'M GOING TO TRY AND FIGHT IT TONIGHT...:drinker:
    WISH ME LUCK.:tongue:
  • ebarrus
    ebarrus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to be the worst night snacker ever. I have been drinking herbalife shakes with added protein at about 7 and now I rarely have cravings. When I do, I eat nuts or fruit and then force myself to stop snacking when I'm full. The cravings will go away I promise!
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    :ohwell: Well, another night of the cant go back to sleep let’s eat syndrome.
    I gave myself 300 cals and still went over "what THE %$^^&*( ^..LOL
    I KNOW IT’S MY FAULT...
    I think the save cals thing is not going to work for me... it just another reason to get up...
    and eat more...
    Tonight I think I’ll try to have a sweet drink next to the bed... becase i think it’s the surger im craving...Wish me luck again...
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • robinmichele1975
    Options
    I'm glad to see there is someone else out there that does this.....get up in the middle of the night and snack.....I have TRIED and TRIED to stop! Its like an addiction! I did pretty well for a while, but I have fallen back into my old habit!
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    I'm hopin the sweet drink next to the bed will keep me there!>>:smile:
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    ok finally saved enough cals, to eat when waking up..:drinker:
    It took me to burn an extra 400 cals on tredmill to do it..lol
    that wont happen to often...:laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Would it help to eat a low carb, high protein SMALL snack with water 30 minutes before bed?
  • kmomonahan
    Options
    You could try keeping fresh fruits and vegetables so if and when you have your midnight snack you could chose a healthier one. I prefer popcorn or grapes. something about having multiple things to pick up and eat helps me especially when i'm watching tv or getting online. I ALWAYS have a veggie tray made up in my fridge, as well as a serious salad and fat free jello with fat free whipped cream.
  • greeshunair
    Options
    You could try keeping fresh fruits and vegetables so if and when you have your midnight snack you could chose a healthier one. I prefer popcorn or grapes. something about having multiple things to pick up and eat helps me especially when i'm watching tv or getting online. I ALWAYS have a veggie tray made up in my fridge, as well as a serious salad and fat free jello with fat free whipped cream.
    This is nice to satisfy the craving and not getting too much calories while having midnight snack.
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    :drinker: I'm getting a little better not much ,but its progress..:smile:
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I found granola bar wrappers in my bed when I made it yesterday morning. Don't even remember eating them !
  • I do exactly the same, it's a vicious cycle.

I've always been 'rubbish' at sleeping. I remember once coming home from a holiday abroad. It was long flight through the night. I looked round at about 5 in the morning and realised that only myself and another passenger were awake. We sort of exchanged a look that said, 'ah, another one like me'.

I find when I can't sleep I get so frustrated and annoyed I just go downstairs and binge. I cannot stop myself and always feel terrible afterwards. Night after night I can do this.

And because I can't sleep, I'm too tired in the morning to get up early and do my hour out on the bicycle, which means I'm not tired at night, which means I can't sleep.......and repeat.
  • blueeyedrunner71
    Options
    lol:drinker: