Doctor. vs. MFP

sportsmomof2
sportsmomof2 Posts: 136
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So Im confused. Went to see the dear sweet doctor that I have (bless his heart), and he said I should not be eating my calories. He said that defeats the purpose. Now I know hes old school, but he was correct in saying you have to have a 3,000 calorie difference to lose 1 lb. Help....How do I know if Im doing the right thing for my body..and isnt everyone different?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    It's 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound. What your doctor probably didn't know is that MFP calculates the deficit FOR you already. WHen you enter your weight, height, goals, activity levels and how much you want to lose, MFP deducts 500 (for 1 pound a week) or 1000 (for 2 pounds a week) from your maintenance calories.

MFP is designed to make it easy for you and allow you to lose, even if you never work out at all. But, if you exercise and burn up more than your daily energy usage, you need to eat back the food to fuel that exercise. You will still have the 500 or 1000 deficit MFP calculates if you meet the goals on the site.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    MFP takes the guess work out of it for you. Eating back your calories will help you lose weight. If you're really worried, try eating back 1/2 of them for now & watch what happens. I bet you will be more willing to eat all of them further down the road ;)
  • Thanks Ladies! I will give it a try...and btw...stormie..congrats on the non-smoking..And Trish...Woot Woot..30lbs. Guess I need to follow you gals footsteps!
  • Remember that MPF gives you an automatic defficit, I think it's 1000calories for 1lbs a week or something like that
This discussion has been closed.