CARBS

Options
Can it be carbs' fault if i can't lose weight on my tummy ? I have more or less 220 carbs a day (that's how much normally mfp allows me) but can it be possible?Should I cut them a little?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can it be carbs' fault if i can't lose weight on my tummy ? I have more or less 220 carbs a day (that's how much normally mfp allows me) but can it be possible?Should I cut them a little?

do you have a specific intolerance to carbs/gluten etc?
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No it's not the fault of Carbs if you don't loose weight on your tummy. You cannot control where your body takes your fat from. It's not possible. You can work on your muscle mass, but the fat will still be over it.

The only thing you can do is continue to eat healthy and exercise. Eventually it will go away.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low carb diet and it is working for me, before I started all I ate was carbs... my diet consisted of pasta, baked potatoes and I kept gaining weight.

Now I have cut down to less than 40g a day and I have lost 9lb in 4 weeks, mostly off my belly as it is a lot flatter now! :D
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low carb diet and it is working for me, before I started all I ate was carbs... my diet consisted of pasta, baked potatoes and I kept gaining weight.

Now I have cut down to less than 40g a day and I have lost 9lb in 4 weeks, mostly off my belly as it is a lot flatter now! :D

You gained weight because you were eating too many calories.

You are now losing weight because you have a calorie deficit.

If someone has excess belly fat, they need to lose weight and reduce body fat. It has nothing to do with whether or not you eat carbs. Edit to say unless you have a specific intolerance or medical condition.
  • keri1ray
    Options
    I have just recently joined myfitnesspal. I was originally on Weight Watchers but only lost 26 lbs in 7 months. I like myfitnesspal more because it forces you to use the calories you earned durning your workouts. My BIG question is, DI OES IT MATTER WHAT TIME OF DAY YOU EAT THE CALORIES OR JUST THAT YOU MAKE SURE YOU HIT YOUR GOAL? I keep finding myself at 9pm needing to eat 350 calories and I can't bring myself to do it.:huh:
  • Amb_er100
    Options
    don'have any intollerace to carbs or gluten
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have just recently joined myfitnesspal. I was originally on Weight Watchers but only lost 26 lbs in 7 months. I like myfitnesspal more because it forces you to use the calories you earned durning your workouts. My BIG question is, DI OES IT MATTER WHAT TIME OF DAY YOU EAT THE CALORIES OR JUST THAT YOU MAKE SURE YOU HIT YOUR GOAL? I keep finding myself at 9pm needing to eat 350 calories and I can't bring myself to do it.:huh:

Meal timing is personal preference only. Eat when you want.

I sometimes eat 500 calories just minutes before bed. It obviously hasn't slowed me down.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Carbs are not at fault. A calorie surplus is the culprit.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options
    people just don't understand the biochemistry of it. Lipogenesis, creating fat, is triggered by excess. ANYTHING can be turned into fat....Carbohydrate and yes, the amino acids from protein that you eat. Excess energy leads to fat growth. Simple
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    One issue not mentioned by others here that may refer more to what you are worried about is the FILO method of fat loss.

Basically, if you are losing weight but notice your stomach staying the same, it is likely because that was the first fat on. Fat follows a First-In-Last-Out method.

So if your stomach got fatter first then legs and then arms, when losing weight, you'll lose from your arms then your legs and finally the stomach.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Carbs tend to be fairly calorie dense in comparison to other foods so its easier to eat in a deficit without them and I lose more weight when I eat primal (essentially no grains) but you can't target a specific area for weight loss
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Carbs tend to be fairly calorie dense in comparison to other foods so its easier to eat in a deficit without them and I lose more weight when I eat primal (essentially no grains) but you can't target a specific area for weight loss

What did i just read? The volume you get from 300 calories in carbs is way more then 300 calories in fat.
  • ukgirly01
    Options

What did i just read? The volume you get from 300 calories in carbs is way more then 300 calories in fat.

True buti was referring to eating veg not neccesarily fat. I can eat a hell of a lot more and stay on target if I have steak and salad than if I had steak and chips
  • Dodgers33089
    Options

Yes sir. Carbs- 4 kcal/g vs fat 9 kcal/g
    Fat is the most potent energy source, most calorie dense
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

cut them for a period of time and see what happens. I tried to lose weight for 3 months and only lost 7lbs eating the amount of carbs that MFP suggested ( around 250g or so). I decided to give cutting carbs a trial for a month, so I cut them down to 100g net per day...and I lost 5lbs the first week, roughly 8lbs the first month. The second month I lost almost 5lbs. the third month I lost 3 lbs
  • No it's not the fault of Carbs if you don't loose weight on your tummy. You cannot control where your body takes your fat from. It's not possible. You can work on your muscle mass, but the fat will still be over it.

The only thing you can do is continue to eat healthy and exercise. Eventually it will go away.

i agree with this.

Cutting down on carbs will help with general weight loss yes. Or you can eat the same amount of carbs but not before bed. I prefer to eat my carbs in the morning. I try not to eat any carbs after 2pm.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options

True buti was referring to eating veg not neccesarily fat. I can eat a hell of a lot more and stay on target if I have steak and salad than if I had steak and chips

The salad is primarily carbohydrates...how much salad (no dressings) do you think you can eat to match the amount of calories in a portion of steak (protein + fat)? you said carbs are more calorie dense, so that means salad would have more calories than the steak. needless to say, thats not the case
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    CRABS
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    CRABS
    didn't see it coming......LOL \m/
  • ukgirly01
    Options

The salad is primarily carbohydrates...how much salad (no dressings) do you think you can eat to match the amount of calories in a portion of steak (protein + fat)? you said carbs are more calorie dense, so that means salad would have more calories than the steak. needless to say, thats not the case

Should have qualified with processed carbs or root veg