The thought of eating breakfast makes me sick help!!!

Options
I have never been a breakfast eater. Will it affect my weightloss if I dont eat breakfast??? Thanks

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No. Tjere is little to no evidence that not eating breakfast will affect your weight loss as long as you don't compensate by eating too much for lunch. You may be interested in Intermittent Fasting, look into it!
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast either, I am never up in time, I would much prefer an extra 20 mins in bed to be honest! It shouldn't make much difference all though they do say breakfast speeds up metabolism?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast either, I am never up in time, I would much prefer an extra 20 mins in bed to be honest! It shouldn't make much difference all though they do say breakfast speeds up metabolism?

No, it doesn't. Total myth. Your metabolism never shuts off....so there is nothing to "speed up".

Eat when you want. Meal timing is personal preference.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No. Tjere is little to no evidence that not eating breakfast will affect your weight loss as long as you don't compensate by eating too much for lunch. You may be interested in Intermittent Fasting, look into it!

Haven't you heard? Forcing yourself to eat is the best way to lose weight.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options
    i always try to eat something for breakfast whether it be cereal, egg whites, Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or leftovers. I'm more focused and energized in the early hours when I munch on something. From the previous dinner or snack to the morning of the next, thats somewhere between 10 hours between meals for me, so Without breakfast i'd go even longer without a meal and probably more likely to overeat later
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast because I'm starving in the mornings.

However, if you don't like to; don't. It won't really affect your weight loss on that alone.
  • fryingpanofdoom
    fryingpanofdoom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine not eating breakfast as long as it's just because you're not hungry!

I hate breakfast, too. I mean, I love love love breakfast foods, but I never want to eat in the morning. I usually get up around 6:30, drink some water, and nurse a cup of coffee until 10/10:30 when I grab some fruit, cheese, or yogurt because I'm finally hungry. It hasn't been a hindrance so far! On the odd days I do wake up hungry, I'll have some extra water and fruit (anything heavier and I end up nauseated) and I'm good to go.
  • marlenevaldez
    Options
    I have been on a thousand different diets and never ever ate breakfast. I am now on MFP and have been eating just one piece of italian bread with one tbsp of peanut butter and i am seeing such a difference in how i feel all day and my weight loss per week has increased. Just take a moment and make yourself do it...i really do believe it helps your metabolism speed up. Hope it works for you.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I have been on a thousand different diets and never ever ate breakfast. I am now on MFP and have been eating just one piece of italian bread with one tbsp of peanut butter and i am seeing such a difference in how i feel all day and my weight loss per week has increased. Just take a moment and make yourself do it...i really do believe it helps your metabolism speed up. Hope it works for you.

brb stokin the metabolic fire
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

need more wood?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

you might want to do that it private
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not hungry = don't eat. (Within reason)

Some of us do better eating in the morning, others do not. I myself feel literally ill sometimes from eating in the early morning.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

you might want to do that it private

It's ok, no one's looking ;-)
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of milk in the morning, that's it, and have been doing that for years. It hasn't hindered weight loss or promoted weight gain. I think you're fine. Eat when you are hungry and within reason.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just eat when you are hungry, as long as you aren't passing out or anything I wouldn't worry. Apparently metabolism raises very slightly just after a meal.... but it will do that anyway whatever time you eat. And it doesn't stop when you sleep either :o)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether the lack of breakfast makes you overeat later in the day, stop by Starbucks on your way to work for a coffee loaded with calories, or grab a candy bar for an energy boost mid-morning. Only you know the answer to those questions. As for me, the Starbucks weight is gone, and the bulk of extra pounds gained from over large portions is still to go.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure any routine that makes you miserable isn't going to work in the long run :)

I never was a breakfast eater, but now I just have something small in the morning (a little thing of greek yogurt, a granola bar, whatever). I could never eat a full breakfast just after getting up

I think if you get to a point where you feel like you're stuck for weeks/months, then maybe it's something to try to mix up your routine. Otherwise, why make yourself sick? Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you can hit your totals (calories/macros) by end of day and you feel fine skipping meals, then I'd just focus on the totals and hit them by end of day whether that's with breakfast or not. Let personal preference and adherence drive this decision.

The effects on your metabolism are negligible.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    No.

If you don't like eating breakfast, don't. Just meet your macros and goals with your other meals.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast. You may find as you start exercising more or increasing your activity that you could become hungrier earlier in the day than you do now and if that happens, you may want to adjust your eating schedule.