Replies

• chcunningham
    chcunningham Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WOW
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Excessive water retention helps kills people everyday!! Its called edema. Morbidly obese people fight it daily. So do people with heart conditions. So when they lose 10 - 15 lbs in their first weeks of weight loss and people tell them its just water weight. They feel a little defeated, when that water is just as important to get off as fat. This journey is not just about fat loss, its about getting your whole body in tune. So no, no troll here. Study and get back to me. :tongue:

I do understand the point. I began with a ketogenic diet because I knew it would be diuretic and glycogen depleting which, in turn, was enough of an initial loss to allow me to begin walking comfortably when I was morbidly obese. That first whoosh was as important as any part of my 109 pound loss.
    Thank you! This was what I was saying. When that pain in your feet goes away, when that pressure in your knees lessens, when your breathing better and when you notice those ulcers around your ankles start to heal. This all starts in that first week when you lose all the "water weight "!

I love how you completely ignonred my explanation of why people say that. But I wouldn't expect any less. :flowerforyou:
  • chcunningham
    chcunningham Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1352913601.jpg

Whoa! I better stick with wine then just to be safe!!!
    :drinker: I'll drink to that!!..LOL
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Proof that water weight is deadly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9FeEgI0Eo
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I'm dying over here. To compare edema which stems from other bodily diseases such as CHF and PVD to the water weight people most refer to here after eating or working out are not one in the same. But whatever makes you sleep at night!

I also found these comparisons pretty amusing. lol. Edema is a lymphatic issue and the result of a serious medical issue. It is not comparable to this "water weight". Please do not get the two confused...they are not interchangeable.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I'm dying over here. To compare edema which stems from other bodily diseases such as CHF and PVD to the water weight people most refer to here after eating or working out are not one in the same. But whatever makes you sleep at night!
    when did I compare the two? A was talking about when your weight has gotten so out of control that your morbidly obese, your heart has started to fail and is causing edema in your legs. What's a doctor tell you? Get the weight off!! In that first week when you lose all this "water weight " what inproves? Everything! Then to have someone tell you its just "water weight " after the pain in your feet has went away, after the pressure in your knees lessens, when those ulcers on your ankles start to heal, when your breathing better. It demeans your efforts. Any weight you lose is beneficial, even " water weight "!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Weight is weight, and your body doesn't care. That's why you're healthier after you poop.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    Excessive water retention helps kills people everyday!! Its called edema. Morbidly obese people fight it daily. So do people with heart conditions. So when they lose 10 - 15 lbs in their first weeks of weight loss and people tell them its just water weight. They feel a little defeated, when that water is just as important to get off as fat. This journey is not just about fat loss, its about getting your whole body in tune. So no, no troll here. Study and get back to me. :tongue:

People point out that it's mostly water in those early weeks so that when the losses SLOW DOWN later, the person losing doesn't get discouraged and think they're suddenly doing something wrong.
    I do understand this, and thank you. But I was talking about when someone starts talking about their weight loss after losing a large amount in their first week, and their talking about how much better they feel. Then someone says " you've not really lost any weight yet, that was just all water - it doesn't really count. " I've Had that statement made to me. Trust me the "water weight " counts.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

People point out that it's mostly water in those early weeks so that when the losses SLOW DOWN later, the person losing doesn't get discouraged and think they're suddenly doing something wrong.
    I do understand this, and thank you. But I was talking about when someone starts talking about their weight loss after losing a large amount in their first week, and their talking about how much better they feel. Then someone says " you've not really lost any weight yet, that was just all water - it doesn't really count. " I've Had that statement made to me. Trust me the "water weight " counts.

It's possible I've missed something, but I never saw anyone here say anything like that.

And besides, while much of that initial lose is likely water, it probably isn't ALL water.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Can we classify edema a little better here???? Dieter's edema is not the same thing as pulmonary edema or cerebral edema for crying out loud.....

With dieter's edema the body holds onto water to replace fat loss in the fat cells. And it's pretty normal for most dieter's to experience this. Some people call it the "whoosh" effect. No weight loss, no weight loss, then WHOOSH, weight loss when the body finally gets rid of the excess water and fat cells.
    Dieter's edema is the reason for the saying "weight loss is not linear".

And I have to disagree...all weight is not created equal. Fat weight is WAY worse for you than water weight and to think otherwise is foolish. Or by following the same mantra you are pushing of weight is weight, then why not water weight = fat weight = muscle weight? I guess no one needs to worry about being fat since all weight is created equal.

This ^^^^

Please note - both air and water kill - we all breath air and drink water = we all die eventually LOL
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    OP: Perhaps you should do a little research yourself before posting something so outrageous.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/edema/page2_em.htm
    what part of my statement was outrageous? I dont want people to dismiss that initial weight loss. Its is just as important as the rest of your journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, I'm pretty sure the body retains water for various reasons. The body is 90% water in the first place, and thus water weight is what it is. It's like breathing. Even people who are within a healthy body composition have water weight fluctations.

Focus on fat loss, not water loss.

^^ This
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And why is everyone so quick to discount someone who may not ask a question the EXACT way we want to hear it...... bullies!

1. She did not ask any question at all. She made a statement.

2. Really? Come on.

25885596.jpg
  • Sandyslosenit
    Options
    To all the morbidly obese people out there that understood where I'm coming from - enjoy every healthy pound you lose. As I walk around pain free for the first time in two years, I'm hoping for the same for you to. To all of you that wanted to turn this into something it wasn't. I'm done - got an appointment and I cant be late. :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

So you're making generalized claims using words and medical terms incorrectly because of ONE comment you personally received? Why don't you... talk to that person?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    "Explanation: It's just that you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oduFEsoKrxQ