THANKSGIVING

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I plan to enjoy myself. I didn't gain weight from one or two days of eating a year. If the scale goes up a bit, then it will come back down the next week.

I don't get a lot of the foods I eat on Thanksgiving and Christmas the rest of the year, so I don't see the point of denying myself the pleasure.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday and then get back on track the next day

What she said :smile:
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating small portions! I am recovering from a knee injury and can't really work out, but hoping it will be healed enough for a good walk Thanksgiving morning. I only have two places to go. I have to make some of the food and I will make it healthier and not let anyone know :wink: I'm more excited about seeing some of my family then I am about the food!!!
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that drinking two 8oz glasses of water before the meal will cause you not to eat so much. Worth a shot and what I am planning on doing.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Times like these I'm happy to be Canadian, our Thanksgiving was over a month ago. I imagine it's more stressful to have it so much closer to Christmas.

As for dealing with the holiday in general, I have some general guidelines in mind

-I will indulge in things on Christmas day, this does not give me license to go nuts for the entire two month Christmas "season"

-Eat the things I want on Christmas, such as mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey, pie, maybe a couple glasses of wine. But still use portion control and eat as many veggies as I want (mashed turnips are on of my favourites!)

-Continue exercising as normal.

-Don't waste calories on things I don't care that much about...save it for the good stuff! For example, the bread we have at Christmas dinner is usually just plain white dinner rolls...maybe if it was delicious bread I would be tempted but I can eat a plain roll anytime.

-Already asked my family and boyfriend not to buy me boxes of chocolate. If they want to put a treat in my stocking, I told them unsalted pistachios would be great. (My favourite nut, but so expensive I don't buy them much). My boyfriend has also been instructed to buy me a 3 pack of Ferrero Rocher instead of a huge box like usual. :)

And a bonus for me, my boyfriends brother is allergic to butter so dinner at their house means no butter in the potatoes or veggies already! :)
    -
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Not gonna log it. :) But, I'm at my goal weight and am just maintaining so not worried about one bad day. I'll have a little bit of everything and just try to keep to reasonable portions. Fortunately for me, I can't stand pie!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to just eat the vegetables that are offered. Even if they are slathered with butter and things, I feel like I'll still be trying to do better. And I'm going to bring a large iced tea with me so I won't be drinking any calories on top of it all!

Do you not like turkey?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about logging- one day is not going to set you back. Try for reasonable portion sizes and get a workout in if you can. Enjoy the holiday and time with family!

This is me! It's life, enjoy it! I don't want to stress about every holiday/event the rest of my life. Chances are even if you do go over that one day a bit, you can average it out through exercise and being *just* slightly under the rest of the week. Weekly average is what counts anyway. Even if you're over a bit on T-giving and on target the rest of the days, you'll still be under maintenance and not gain. Now relax and breathe, it's one day. It's suppose to be enjoyable, not stressful!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Times like these I'm happy to be Canadian, our Thanksgiving was over a month ago. I imagine it's more stressful to have it so much closer to Christmas.

As for dealing with the holiday in general, I have some general guidelines in mind

-I will indulge in things on Christmas day, this does not give me license to go nuts for the entire two month Christmas "season"

-Eat the things I want on Christmas, such as mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey, pie, maybe a couple glasses of wine. But still use portion control and eat as many veggies as I want (mashed turnips are on of my favourites!)

-Continue exercising as normal.

-Don't waste calories on things I don't care that much about...save it for the good stuff! For example, the bread we have at Christmas dinner is usually just plain white dinner rolls...maybe if it was delicious bread I would be tempted but I can eat a plain roll anytime.

-Already asked my family and boyfriend not to buy me boxes of chocolate. If they want to put a treat in my stocking, I told them unsalted pistachios would be great. (My favourite nut, but so expensive I don't buy them much). My boyfriend has also been instructed to buy me a 3 pack of Ferrero Rocher instead of a huge box like usual. :)

And a bonus for me, my boyfriends brother is allergic to butter so dinner at their house means no butter in the potatoes or veggies already! :)
    -

A very sensible approach! Esp the part about giving yourself a pass on one day (Thanksgiving or Christmas) does NOT mean go nuts for the whole "season."
  • RockyMtnRedhead
    Options
    I actually don't eat a lot on the holiday since I'm honestly pooped from preparing it. I have a plate of food and a little pie. Our menu is pretty basic: Turkey, Pan Gravy, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Corn Bread Dressing with a Pumpkin and Pecan pie for dessert. I'm pretty sure the majority of our food will be consumed during the dinner, anything left will be sent home with our guests. I'm more concerned about my wine/beer consumption while preparing food that day!!! :D
  • teesimo
    teesimo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just getting started on this site but . . .. Take 1 spoonful of whatever you want but only one spoonful. Another idea is to log what you think you might eat before you go to the feast. Then you have an opportunity to change your mind before you eat it and are totally shocked at what you just ate.

New to MFP as well, and great advice! To OP: to obsess and deprive your self will just ruin your day! As well as those who have worked hard to prepare the meal. I have to pleasure of cooking every year so this year I am trying to cook lighter. I will have all the trimmings that everyone enjoys but they wont miss all the butter and cream. I will fill up on Turkey and Green beans (NOT casserole) and allow myself 1/2 of potatoes and stuffing, 1/4c gravy and 1 slice( proper portion) of pie. I am going to start logging the meal through out the week so I know where I stand. If I go a few cals over that's OK.

Remember the reason for the Holiday!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    22889541.jpg

Why? Because f*** you, it's Thanksgiving. That's why.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful I've never been a fan of pumpkin pie so it does not tempt me. Pecan pie on the other hand...... :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sorry, enjoying my family and being thankful are far more important in the grand scheme of things than trying to log every single thing. Not logging and going to enjoy the day. I hope you were kidding about asking them to save every little wrapper so you can log everything? That's obsessive and not a healthy way of thinking.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I plan on eating all of the fattening, creamy casseroles I want and drinking several glasses of wine as I always do, but I will still log it. If you search for whatever the item is you can usually get a generic version that someone has put in the database. It won't be exact but can give you an idea... I always go for the highest calorie one just in case. To whoever said they were going to ask the people to save wrappers so they can save every ingredient... DON'T! What does it matter if your log isn't exactly perfect one day? Just use a generic version if you have to log, it won't kill you.

I'm running a half marathon that morning and I'm in maintenance mode anyways, so one day of bad eating should not kill me (unlike the 10 pounds I put on during a 5 day all-inclusive resort trip to the Bahamas last week).
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want, just don't pig out.

Would be a great day to increase your normal exercise routine a bit to bank some extra cals for the day.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    22889541.jpg

Why? Because f*** you, it's Thanksgiving. That's why.

i'm gonna eat my wifes pecan pie, and I'm gonna love every single bite. its gonna be a friggen orgasm in my mouth I can promise you that :D
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Just getting started on this site but . . .. Take 1 spoonful of whatever you want but only one spoonful. Another idea is to log what you think you might eat before you go to the feast. Then you have an opportunity to change your mind before you eat it and are totally shocked at what you just ate.

Great idea. Try to visualize what will be there and decide ahead of time what to eat. It helps to look at the the high calorie stuff and say to yourself, "I don't want that." Say it enough and it becomes the truth.

I would not ask for the nutritional info. People are funny about stuff like that. Saboturs will come out in force. Some folks don't like change, especially in family in friends. Don't let anyone try to sabotage you. If the food pushers come at you, push back. Be firm. "No thanks, I'm having ____. If they say you must try this, "No thanks, I'm full." You don't have to feel guilty for not eating something. Yes, they went to the trouble to make it and it was nice of them, but it's only food. And it's not going to change their life in a negative way if you don't eat some of it. So, be strong but have fun and enjoy the day. Ask those food pushers if they want to go for a walk after the meal.

Don't let this stress you out. It's just one day. As many said, it's not that one day but what you do afterwards that is going to make the difference to your weight loss. If you do over eat, resolve to eat the very best you can at your next meal. You can do it.

Hope you have a wonderful day.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Log it as potluck!:) a 2000 potluck day!!!:noway:
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I still plan to log and watch portion control. I will eat everything but won't stuff myself.