cardiio and strength ... how to get the right balance?

Options
Ok so my main form of exercise is treadmill and cross trainer. On my day off the gym I go running with my sister. I want to incorperate strength into this and tone my muscles but not sure on how and the best way to do this. I have tried the machines in the gym and don't really like them but to be honest I don't knw if I'm using them corectly.

Any help?

Replies

• RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Pick a program. I'm starting to alternate mine with running.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love jillian dvds for this reason. It combines the best of both worlds :)
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    why don't you try some lifting DVD's they will teach you how to lift and different moves... my fave is P90X.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Do each one 2-3 times per week, and take at least one full day off per week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The right answer depends largely on your long term goals.

Are you thinking of participating in endurance sports (running, triathlon etc)? Or, are your goals more focused on body composition?
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hire a personal trainer... even for one session
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    cardio half the workout and lifting half the workout

most gyms should have a program where they will show you how to use the machines towards your goals
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I think Jillian dvds are OK.... but I think they're more about endurance than strength, even with the weights. Why? Because she's using light weights and MANY reps. Yes, you can do it for longer, but you can't lift more next time.

If you really want a dvd for getting into lifting for building strength, check out Cathe Friedrich.

A trainer is a great idea, even once, to help you out. Then you can go from there.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts, you only need to do it 3 days a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Look into New Rules of Lifting and if you are confused/worried you don't know what you are doing see if there is a trainer at the gym that can help you out and demo the new exercises you're unfamiliar with.

I too am working on trying to find that balance. I've been running and lifting for a little while, I basically judge the "balance" by how my lifting is progressing. So far I've been able to run 3-4 times per week and not really hinder my lifting progress, I've still been adding weight every week.

I agree about the rest day, and make it a REAL rest day, not an active rest day.
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    Do for eg if my gym seshion is 90 mins I should do 45 mins my usual treadmill and cross trainer and the other 45 on strength training?
    I'm not kean on dvds as I find I don't do them at home, I'm better in a gym.
    Will definately look into free weights/getting help at the gym thanks guys :-)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Skip the machines and stick to the free weights (dumbbells, barbell). Do a full-body workout 3 times per week. Do your cardio (treadmill, etc.) on your non-lifting days. If you MUST do cardio and strength on the same day due to time constraints then do weights first, then cardio.

Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", it's an awesome program! Here's a link to the MFP group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

There are other strength training groups on MFP you could join too. Just use the group Search function.

Congratulations on making the wise decision to strength train!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    personally I would do cardio and strength training on different days if possible. I usually do a cardio warm up before lifting but usually on do 20 mins
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts, you only need to do it 3 days a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

This. Or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

Strength 2-3 times a week, 45 minutes at a time. Cardio 3-5 days a week, 30-45 minutes at a time (or less than this, cardio is optional).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This

I started with 3 pounds, then moved up to 5 pounds. This is really helping me with my arm strength. Hopefully, I can actually do a decent amount of reps with 10 pounds soon. I think a barbell is like 45 pounds. That's where I need to get to. :laugh:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting, and maybe hire a personal trainer for a session to teach you proper form

Good luck to you and great job on progressing your workouts!:smile: javascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    ZOMG STRONGLIFTS OR NEW RULES OF LIFTING!! Or any of the other good beginner routines like Westside, Starting Strength, Reg parks' 5x5, Greyskull LP, Allpro's beginner routine...

I personally would not recommend some fad DVD workout centered around 5lb dumbbells or some hybrid program that "gives the best of both" because no, they don't give the best of either.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    3x 1 hour strength workouts per week
    2-3x 20-30 minute HIIT sessions
    Any remaining time you want to exercise, do LISS cardio, e.g. walking
  • RoxySherwood89
    Options
    3x 1 hour strength workouts per week
    2-3x 20-30 minute HIIT sessions
    Any remaining time you want to exercise, do LISS cardio, e.g. walking

Sorry whats HIIT sessions? Sorry for all the questions i just want to get it right and right for me x