Boyfriend.

Options
We love eating together. Either out to eat or staying in all day watching movies while beef stew cooks itself and smells up the apartment all nice..... He's actually trying to gain 15-20, I'm trying to lose. But he loves when I cook lasagna or steak or chicken parm, and I love it too.....
I love ordering pizza and playing video games with him all day. He works so hard and deserves nice meals when he gets home. My point is I LOVE cooking for him and eating with him. Do I have to sacrifice this? It's literally our main form of bonding because our budgets are tight right now so it's not like we go out and do a bunch of fun exciting things all the time. How do you guys deal??

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm single...LOL
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    No, you don't, imo. Adjust your portions, if you feel you need to cut down on the calories.
    Involve him also in other activities together - hitting the gym together or jogging. I suppose he wants to gain in a healthy way - not by supplementing on sweets, but by enhancing his caloric intake while having an active life.

ETA: forgot the money part, so maybe gym is not an option, but you can do home weight lifting or crunches together (and compete in some way) or any other sort of exercising where you can challenge yourselves :wink: and be happy that you have a friend to do this with :smile:.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a single coworker who is super into her fitness and diet and she has so much free time to focus. I just started sacrificing 4 nights of hang out time with my guy because I'm going to the gym....ISN'T THAT ENOUGH!?!?! I already miss him so much now I feel like I can't even have meals with him =(
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I cook nice things and eat with him.

Nice doesn't have to mean high calorie.
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    Small portions! You can still eat together, you just need to watch your portion size. Steak, lasagne, you can still lose weight eating these things. Make a salad as well, or a vegetable, and fill most of your plate with the veggies. Take a small portion of the main course. Your boyfriend can eat a much larger portion of the main course, and you two can eat together and both achieve your goals.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too - I love cooking and I make traditional british foods - lots of stews and steamed puddings... not weight-loss food. My boyfriend does ironmans, so he's often packing away several thousand more cals per day than I should be.

I have to be really, really strict with portion control if I want to avoid gaining weight while he is training. I don't cook two separate meals, but sometimes I will add extra stuff to his meal (like extra cream or more potatoes or something) to give him more cals than my portion.
  • kullyg
    kullyg Posts: 17
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with the food you are eating. steak with veg is healthy, just cook it under the grill rather than pan fry. make lasagne with quorn and make your own sauces, use low fat cheese instead of full fat, etc etc
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you're eating out that's taking away from your budget. You can go to the gym in the morning to workout to have your evenings free.
    I would honestly never order pizza again. You can make your lasagnas with low fat cheese and just be sure to only eat one serving of it and a side salad while he eats as much as he wants. You just make your plate look smaller than his.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up everything you love, but you will have to make choices (you probably can't have everything you want) and watch your portions.

Remember also that couples need apart time as well as together time. Doing things apart gives you new things to share and talk about.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    We don't order Pizza any more, you get much more for your money from the supermarket and it's quicker to cook a frozen one than to order and wait for a take away. BF has a big fat stuffed crust pepperoni pizza and I have a Goodfellas Delizia roasted tomato one with a large side salad.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to sacrifice that! My Boyfriend and I live together and I cook for both of our and a 4 year old. You just have to eat LESS than him!

Make lasagna, only make THIS lasagna. This recipe is for Spinach Lasagna, but I have done the same theory for Buffalo Chicken Lasagna, Beef Lasagna, and Sausage Lasagna too!

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/115869-Spinach_Lasagna_Rolls

Oh, and PS- we eat pizza once a week. I do a Menu and hang it on our wall on Sundays. I, then, go grocery shopping and get all the food for the week. I plan for it and it works.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    try cooking healthy options. Stews can be healthy as well as homemade pizza
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    On sacrificing time - why don't you work out together? My fiance and I pump iron together and do P90x workouts together and go to yoga together...

And on cooking - no, you certainly don't have to stop cooking for him. If he's trying to bulk up, he probably wants high-protein, not high-fat, so you can eat the same food just eat less of it than he does. My fiance literally eats three times as much as I do, and I cook with that in mind. I make a batch of something, divide it in four, serve one serving to myself and the rest to him.
  • StephBurbankRD
    StephBurbankRD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same shoes. I found that whole milk for him, water for me. More veggies on my plate evens things out. Can you work out in the mornings? That way you won't have to sacrifice those presious hours with him!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can always alter some of your recipes to make them smaller portions or to shed some calories from them. I haven't tried them yet, but on Pinterest, I found a recipe for lasagna cups. Smaller portions of them and they are much lighter than regular lasagna. Find recipes that still interest you but are healthy foods for both of you.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You still have to eat. Just eat smaller portions than him.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes, try to incorporate moerhigh protein, less carbs, healthy dinners...and control portion size...I cook healthy meals designed for my diet and the BF loves what I cook....I'd say maybe go to gym and workout together if your worried about being away from him. He can gain weight by body building.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I am trying to lose and my boyfriend is trying to gain. Our plan is that I will cook and eat healthy meals and he will eat with me but he will also eat other stuff. When we go out to eat I try to get something healthier on the menu while he gets what he wants. We still eat together when our schedules allow it but he just eats more.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The thing is he's a picky eater, so new "healthier" meals won't work. And I can't seem to bring myself to only eat a tiny portion when I spent so much time and effort making it! I guess I'm just gonna have to get over it and have my tiny portion.....