Any tips and/or suggestions for preparing for my first 5K

Options
Hi! I'm participating in my first 5K run on Thanksgiving morning. I'm not looking to set any records or come in first place...just want to do it just to do it. However, I am looking for some tips and suggestions on how best to prepare, besides the regular daily training. Should I workout the night before? If so, cardio or strength training? How should I eat the night before? How should I eat in the morning before the 5K? What would be best to eat? Any tips to keep in mind that I might not be thinking about or overlooking?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions you have!

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Bump, I've done 2 5k's but I'm interested in hearing the responses.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything special--just do your normal routine. Changing things up can cause digestive distress, and you definitely don't want that. Just go out there and have fun!
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just did my first this pass weekend... KISS... prepare your running stuff the night before... I didn't do my daily the day before and ate a small amount about 3 hours before race time... got there early... race number goes on front :) , Don't get caught up in the RuSH, pace your first mile and see how you feel... Good luck...
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on the subject from active.com...it might give you some pointers!

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/What-to-Do-Before-Your-5K
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to not eat anything too heavy the night before or morning of, but I agree that you should eat something you normally eat so that you don't upset your stomach. :) Just pace yourself and have fun, the energy and atmosphere of the race will be good motivation.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have only done 2 so far, so I am a newbie. But taking several days off prior to the race, made a big difference. I did one 2 weeks ago. trained Sun/Mon/Wed, and took the rest of the week off, and did only light strength. I felt I had a better run on Sunday as a result.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was about to reccommend Couch to 5K...but then I re-read what you were asking... The only thing I could compare my first 5K to was my workouts. I'd use the event as a benchmarck from which to improve.

As far as preparing for the event, I would make sure you get two solid days rest and the day of: NO DAIRY!!!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    You don't have to do anything special prepping for your 5K, but since it's your first one you want to feel good about it so eat clean the day before, you can take a break from working out if you want, get enough sleep. Grab a small snack ( a granola bar, a bowl of oatmeal, a banana) before you head out and enjoy it!

When you start - pace yourself. Your adrenaline is going to be through the rough. Start slower and finish strong!

Good luck! And enjoy it! If you worry about it too much it will take all the fun away from it. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This is what works for many:

Take Tuesday as a complete rest day.
    Wednesday run a couple of very easy miles and then do a few 100 m strides to keep the blood flowing in the legs and the muscles loose.
    On race day warm up with a 5 to 10 min jog followed by a few fast strides shortly befor the race starts.

Eat at least 2 hrs before, 200 to 400 calories of carbohydrates like oatmeal or a bagel.

Don't drink too much the morning of the race.
  • Aimeebird1
    Aimeebird1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine suggested eating a few more carbs in the week leading up to the race for energy for my 10k run. I gained that week slightly but it came off the next week when I went back to normal... Was my first run so no idea if it helped but I was impressed with myself at the end :laugh: ...

Good luck and have fun :drinker:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. 5ks are meant to be fun. Do get there early because it's not always clear where you're supposed to park or pick up your stuff. Have a few 100 calories of quick digesting carbs and a coffee and you should be good to go. Have fun.

You can keep to your regular eating and exercising the day before. Do make sure you drink enough water the day before.

You don't need to pace yourself. The whole race is less than 30 minutes. Find a pace that challenges you, but that you know you stick to for thirty minutes and bang it out. Always sprint the last few hundred yards. You won't feel it at this point anyways. You might do better than you think.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ...one more thing: don't take the next day off. Even if you just take a nice long walk, your muscles will recover more gracefully if you continue the effort.
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ...one more thing: don't take the next day off. Even if you just take a nice long walk, your muscles will recover more gracefully if you continue the effort.

Definitely this. The head of our running club, also a doctor, says it is the best recovery. Get the blood flowing.

Race etiquette #1
    Seed yourself accordingly. Unless you've got a good shot of winning, you shouldn't be up the front. Besides, it's a good idea notto start off too hard.

#2 - if you chose to wear headphones (if your race allows) make sure you are aware of those around you. Ideally leave one out so you can hear.

And don't stop/slow down suddenly.

As for prep, you don't need to do anything differently. Some people workout/ run the day before a race, some don't.

Don't forget to smile, thank the volunteers and most importantly have fun.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Do not workout day before. Drink plenty of water day before, more than usual. Eat small, simple meal for breakfast, preferably fruit...depends on your body, I wouldn't want to eat anything dairy in chance of disagreeance of it coming up.