Taking the stairs - aerobic? Strength training?

Options
OK - I'm still confused!

At my office we have four levels, and it's about 70 steps to the top. I can make it - JUST to the top without stopping but once I'm there I'm out of breath. I make this trip several times a day and I've noticed some improvement (I could only get to the second floor before stopping at first).

Even if I do two trips up (up down back up and down) it doesn't take me ten minutes which (so I understand) means it's not giving me any aerobic benefit. It's not really strength training right?

But I know that it hurts, and I'm fatigued afterwards, and it seems like there must be SOME benefit to doing this?

Today I was only able to get 30 minutes in on the elliptical machine - I'd like to think that if I walk the steps every hour or two during the day - I'm getting some kind of health benefit out if this even if it doesn't' fit into a regular category?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I looked into this same topic by reading a lot of online material about going up and down stairs as exercise, and the general consensus I found was that it definitely burns calories and "counts" as exercise. I go up and back down the single flight of stairs at my gym 10 times in a row as a "break" from the elliptical and other machines. (It's a lot like running bleachers, that most high school athletes do at some point of training.) I entered this as a new cardio exercise on MFP and count it as 50 calories, which is the general info I saw online. I do this most days, and hopefully after a while I will be running up and down all 10 times. I plan to add on and do 20 flights of stairs once 10 flights isn't such a challenge.
  • Lynnlin
    Options
    Is your body used to going up and down the stairs? What I did when I had stairs presented to me, I would run up them, or at least move faster. Your body must be getting some kind of benefit since you are able to get to the second floor without stopping. Throw some different ways of going up the stairs....ie - going faster up, take two steps at a time.....

I lost weight running up and down the stairs when I was in college- the elevator was too slow :blushing: :tongue:
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I walk the steps at work every day for about half an hour. i put it in here as walking up stairs and it does burn calories. Keep it up, my legs are so much stronger and thinner and my butt is a bit firmer and smaller too!! It's good exercise and its free!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Because of the duration (less than 10 minutes), it is more "casual activity" than "workout", but that's more a technical designation. It does burn calories (all activity does), and it does provide some "real life" carryover, since you are doing an actual activity.

Our total daily caloric expenditure consists of basal metabolism, exercise workout activity, and casual activity/movement. It all counts.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've once read that even five minute intense spurts have great aerobic benefit. Each time I come near the steps I run up and down them three times ( and I do mean run) I notice a difference on the intensity I can put into it and my exertion levels. I can feel my leg muscles tightening & I know it can only be a good thing since I spend twelve hours a day seated!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that after yesterday (831 "up" steps) I am feeling it today! I can only make it up about 48 steps before my legs are shaking. This morning I tried jogging up the steps and made it to the second level before I had to stop and hobble up the rest:embarassed:

I appreciate all of your input and now that I understand it still counts I'll feel better making the effort!