Issues with the elliptical

Options
Hello,
So I just started going to the gym and using the elliptical. I walk a lot (walked my first half marathon last October) and do 30 Day Shred at home so I figured this would be nothing. I have to be doing something wrong. My feet (not my toes) and the whole lower part of my legs hurt. It almost feels like I'm having a hard time holding myself up. I really don't see how I can be doing it wrong, but I'm not sure that I am doing it right. I want to get off because I'm uncomfortable, not because the workout is too hard...at least I think that's what I'm feeling. 2 or 3 minutes into it I want to stop, yet I can walk on the treadmill at 4mp and 10 incline for an hour. I thought I'd post it here and see if others have felt this way, any advice, or what? I'm going to suck it up and keep doing and ask one of the people that work there, but I think I trust the people on here more.
Thank you!

Replies

• Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No idea what the problem is, but my advice is stick to the treadmill if that's what works for you. There's nothing magic about elipticals.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ps. If you really want to use it, just ask one of the trainers at the gym. Sure they'd be happy to point out if you're technique is off.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I have been using an elliptical for a month and have not experienced anything like that. If your at the gym you should ask someone who works there. Maybe they check the settings on it. Beyond that I'm really not sure what it could be.
  • Honey7o2
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that ellipticals are not as fantastic as everyone says and they are not for everyone lol. I have major issues with them too. But, it's my knees. 2 minutes and I am in severe burning pain in my knees. My knee joints are messed up and have been since I was a toddler. So the motion that the ellipitical creates just kills me. If your gym has an ArcTrainer, see how that one works.
  • danielleleee
    Options
    ON THE TREADMILL THERE'S NO RESISTANCE.. BUT ON THE ELEPTICAL THERE IS RESISTANCE. MAYBE THATS WHY IT HURTS... BUT IF THE TREADMILL WORKS BETTER FOR YOU THEN YOU SHOULD DO THAT INSTEAD.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to try different levels up & down. It will make a diffence in your stride which might help.... I remember them hurting a lot when I first started in my 20's but when I tried again in my 30's no pain...NO IDEA WHY!:ohwell:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I know I can stick to the treadmill but I've been walking for years and was looking for something different and fun. I will ask at the gym but I guess I'm stuck on the bike or the stair-master thing. Anyone else experience this, feel free to chime in.
    Thank you all!
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't experience that but my toes go numb. How tall are you? It does feel unnatural for me at 5'3" as well as my husband at 6'2".
  • katenyc112
    Options
    maybe the settings aren't at a good level for you (resistance). also, i feel it in a different part of my legs when i use the elliptical (as opposed to treadmill) maybe your muscles there arent as developed?
    good luck. if anything, as someone who works there or is on the machine next to you.