too much protein?

Options
mfp says that my daily protein goal is 55g. today i had 126g. i went over 71grams for my protein. i'm staying on track w/ everything else, i don't go over my calories, carbs, or fat. is going over my protein this much going to hinder me losing weight? is it going to make me gain weight?

mfp goals are --- calories: 1,460..... carbs: 201..... fat: 49..... protein: 55..... fiber: 17

here is what i actually had today --- calories: 1,235..... carbs: 148..... fat:19..... protein:126..... fiber:15.

so as you can see i don't go over on my other stuff. my 2 biggest contributers to today's protein is grilled boneless skinless chicken breast at lunch and salmon fillets at dinner. even if i cut those in half, i would still be going over my protein by about 30g. and if i didn't have the whole portions of those like i did i wouldn't have made it over 1200 calories.

ugh! any suggestions or ideas?????

Replies

• lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No, protein is good. It keeps you from getting hungry and helps you maintain your mucsle mass. Most people dieting don't get enough protien and lose muscle mass in the process. How much you should be getting depends on your weight and height. I'm 6'1' and my protein goal is around 150 grams a day.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You don't need more than 3 portions of meat per week. Two a day is excessive. If you want to bring your protein down, just eat more of other stuff. If your meals are already big enough, you can introduce more meals to your day. Get an extra 200 cals for morning tea, and again for afternoon tea. It takes a bit of effort to change up your routine but if you're interested in health as well as weight its worth it.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    In my mind, the more protein, the better. I try to have over 100 g protein per day (even though MFP says a low number on mine too). Protein is great for rebuilding muscle if you have been working out. Its not going to make you gain if its lean protein, it will make you stronger and rebound quicker from workouts.
  • moneyandroses
    Options
    I'm glad you have asked this question because I was wondering too!
    I must agree though with the folks above....I think in order to gain muscle from your workouts, you need to consume more than MFP recommends for your daily protein goals. That's what I have been doing.....I personally have never seen protein as a bad thing to add to my diet. I'd much rather be eating "too much" protein than carbs or fats that are lower in protein amounts.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    If you consume too much protein it can be really bad for your kidneys.

You don't need more than 1.4g protein per kg body weight per day, even when exercising.

Health range for sedentary individuals is 0.8-1g a day.

1.2 - 1.4 for moderate exercise

I've heard of 1.6 for elite level athletes, but haven't seen any scientific evidence to back that up.

If you have more that about 1g/kg bw make sure your drinking adequate water to try and take care of your kidneys.