Leg and Thigh Exercises for People with Bad Knees

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on leg and thigh strengthening exercises a person with arthritis in their knee could do. Other than lunges.. Lunges and squats KILL my knee.. That lovely click click sound.. That’s me.. But I need to strengthen those muscles to make my knee stronger... I’m currently doing the elliptical 5 days a week for 45 min. and I love it! Doesn’t put any pressure on my knees. I know I should be doing lunges and squats though.. but no no no they just don’t like me..

THANKS! :)

Replies

• pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    I have a similar problem, yesterday at the gym met someone who was a rehabilitation expert in the forces. He suggested strength training with the weights machines. Not sure what they are called but you sit down and push the weights with your feet and the other is where again sitting down push outwards with knees/legs. Ths will strengthen the muscles around the knees. Eliptical trainer and the sitting down cycle are also good. The best thing of course is losing weight which reduces the load bearing on the joints.
    I will send you a friend request.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    You do not have to do squats or lunges, no singular exercise is essential

Focus on glute/hamstring exercises

Deadlift
    Stiff leg Deadlift
    Hamstring curl
    Glute bridge

And the following, pain depending

Leg press
    Rear foot elevated split squat