Hypoglycemic - help!

Options
Hi everyone -

I just yesterday found out that there is a very good chance (not 100% until I do the 5-hour glucose test) that I am hypoglycemic. AND, to top that off, I have high cholesterol due to, as my doctor says, crap genes.

Right now my plan is to start seeing a nutritionist as soon as my new health insurance kicks in, but until then, any advice from other hypoglycemics? Or just anyone in general?

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I found out when I was in high school, but didn't really get the eating under control till college.

Few things which help,

exercise, it controls your glucose release. even just a walk a day helps with insulin sensitivity.
    protein with everything you eat. for me at least, there is no point having a bagel and cream cheese, unless i'm prepared for the shakes and dizziness which will come from not having protein for breakfast.
    warn close friends and family of impending symptoms. i find this helpful for 2 reasons, 1)they're prepared for snappy comments/meanness until you get food (still haven't been able to control my mood when i'm hungry, working on it!) and 2) they'll keep eyes open for protein, or may have some almonds or something with them. it's good for them to know, i've blacked out before and my friends knew to get me some sugar/food

also cut out that caffeine! it was really hard for me, took a couple years to get off coffee, switch to black tea, now green. it exacerbates your symptoms.

feel free to PM me anytime. :flowerforyou:
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yep...protein. i also don't go very long without eating. i need to eat 5 smaller meals. i agree with keeping food around. i keep almonds in my glove compartment in case i get dizzy/sweaty and i'm driving.
  • jessewynn77
    jessewynn77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make sure to carry a Larabar with me at all times. They can turn around a "crash" in a few minutes because of the fruit sugars and protein. For me they're the fastest solution. I keep one in my purse and one in my car. I have found that since I began eating healthier in general, the crashes are much fewer and further between.
    I found out I was hypoglycemic just a few years ago, and my husband and I had a hell of a time learning how to deal with it. I had to explain that I get a really terrified, helpless feeling when I start to feel weak/dizzy/sweaty, and sometimes he has to help me get food in my system because I just panic. It's not fun.
    So! Communicate, and keep a snack on hand at all times.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had what my doctor called "hypoglycemic tendencies" which basically meant It wasn't quite bad enough to be full blown hypoglycemic, but I had to be careful.

For me, it's fairly easy to control. Eat every 3-4 hours, lots of proteins, not a lot of easy to digest carbs. If I avoid candy and eat sensibly I don't really have any "episodes".

You can buy glucouse tablets at a drug store to keep in your purse/ bag/desk/car for emergencies. If your feeling low, chew one of those bad boys and you'll be good to go pretty quick.