jogging with my dog ...

Options
2»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I grew up with the notion that it is bad to run dogs like that. Dogs are sprinters. They fetch a ball or something, come back and stop. Constant pace, like people do when they run is not good for them. Having said that, I have asked some vets that say it's fine, but you have to build them up to it. It can take the dog a while, and sometimes, just like people, some dogs just wont take to it. Also, keep in mind that a dog will kill itself to make it's owner happy. So, even if it's damn near killing the dog, they'll do it to please you.

In general, and I knwo people don't feel this way, but when I see people running with their dogs like that, it makes me a little bit angry, because I don't feel that dogs are built for that kind of running. They are short-distance sprinting.

Now, if you are doing sprints. That's different. Totally get your dog involved in that.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How do I do sprints with my dog? Sorry to sound dim xx
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    How do I do sprints with my dog? Sorry to sound dim xx

Instead of running, like jogging. Just go somewhere and do sprints. So, maybe run fast for 50 or 100 yards. Then stop, rest for a couple minutes, then do it again. Do this a bunch of times. It's a legit workout for you and your dog. It's actually better than just jogging, in many respects.