over AGAIN ughh

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
UGHHHH I went over again today!! WTF! Something doesnt seem right with the pasta though. for only 2oz thats 210 calories!! Have you seen what 2 oz of pasta looks like...its like nothing!!! So i ended up having like 4 servings of that. ANd it would be unrealistic of me to say that Im not going to eat anything else tonight because Im going to want a snack. Which ill have some almosts or 100 cal pack of popcorn. At least today i didnt even anything fried. UGH

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    UGHHHH I went over again today!! WTF! Something doesnt seem right with the pasta though. for only 2oz thats 210 calories!! Have you seen what 2 oz of pasta looks like...its like nothing!!! So i ended up having like 4 servings of that. ANd it would be unrealistic of me to say that Im not going to eat anything else tonight because Im going to want a snack. Which ill have some almosts or 100 cal pack of popcorn. At least today i didnt even anything fried. UGH
    \

the only thing that makes me feel a LITTLE better is that I went to msn health and entered my weigh and everything and they said that my daily calorie in take should be like 1600..at least i havent gone over that..yet. :angry:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    My calorie limit is more on other sites, also....

I went over today too, but I haven't done my workout yet, so that should save me :laugh:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    ... for only 2oz thats 210 calories!! Have you seen what 2 oz of pasta looks like...

I agree. I eat whole grain pasta and to have a half cup is like 200 cals. Apparently Italians don't make pasta the meal like we do, they just have a little side portion. Go figure.
  • Not super sure here, but I think the 2 oz measurment of pasta refers to uncooked pasta.
  • AliStar
    AliStar Posts: 12 Member
    I like to pretend like its in Weight Watchers and "save points"(calories) each week for the night I can't help myself or want to go out. I just keep adding them up. Last weekend I added up the calories I'd consumed compared to a week's worth of my goal (8400) and had 450 left over, so I treated myself to some MGD 64's!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I believe this is true.
    At least, I hope so because that's how I've been measuring my pasta out. And I always get a good sized pasta dish (with a protein, veggies, and a little sauce) and am pretty much stuffed for the night.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    thats why we dont eat it (plus my gluten free stuff is even worse). Its crazy! I have fallen in love with spagahetti squash. I use it in a spaghetti bake with tomato sauce (watch calories there too), fat free cheese and fat free riccota. It bakes up well. After a few decades you wont miss it :)
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    The 2 oz serving of pasta IS before it is cooked.... I buy a package of pasta, and either weigh it as I go using my handy-dandy $5 food scale, or divide it all as soon as I open it (8 piles, or however many servings are in a package, and bag them, if you don't have a scale or find it's easier that way), and put it in marked baggies with "1 serving, 200 calories" etc.... once you cook a few individual portions, you'll get the hang of what is an individual serving size of a cooked portion out of a family size pot of pasta.

I LOVE pasta - I'm also learning to "stretch" it by adding veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, etc are my favs lately). I also REALLY like spaghetti squash, when I can be bothered to cook it. I read a recipe on here for cooking it in the microwave, I am going to have to try that! The spaghetti squash works well for tomato-based sauces; I haven't tried it yet for alfredo-type sauces.

Good luck!!! Just keep at it, you're making progress by being aware, continually trying, and not giving up in frustration! Keep educating yourself, you can do this, and make the healthy changes you want to make.

:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Not super sure here, but I think the 2 oz measurment of pasta refers to uncooked pasta.

I've found 2oz cooked = 1/2 cup which would seem right, despite the box saying 2oz uncooked.

It would be nice if the serving size info was a little more easy to understand.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Yeah as a few others have said, its 2oz dry, so 2 oz cooked is closer to 6 ounces.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Yes, folks it's 2oz of UNCOOKED pasta per serving (ever notice how the 8oz box of pasta tells you it contains 4 servings and the 16oz box serves 8?).

2oz uncooked pasta = a big ol' plate full of pasta (I personally have a hard time eating that much). In my experience, a serving of cooked pasta like penne or rotini is just a little more than a cup. But that can vary based on the size and shape of your pasta so your best bet is to weigh it dry and then cook it.

So, measure your 2oz DRY pasta, cook it, and then eat it all. If you're cooking for 2, measure 4 ounces, then cook it, then weigh it and split it into 2 equal portions, and so on for more servings.
This discussion has been closed.