Intermittent Fasters

Options
I have been using intermittent fasting for almost a month now with some pretty awesome changes. First off, I have so much more energy in the morning, which I would have never thought. Also, I am more committed to exercising after I break my fast, I seem to want to eat less and lastly I am more regular. I was wondering if anyone else with success or difficulty would share their experiences or expertise. I've read up on it but I would like to know more.

Thanks for your time! (=

Replies

• Bassgirl51
    Options
    Bump. I am researching this..so interested in any comments.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    My farting has also become intermittent
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a great approach and works really well with a super busy life because you don't have to stress about getting your meals at 'X' time. I use it because I work full time and the food provided at work is terrible. I can also offer you some info as to why you feel so good in the morning; it's because naturally (via evolution) we have higher cortisol and adrenalin in the morning. This is associated with the times when we were hunter gatherers and we didn't have food stores so we would need energy to go and either gather or hunt for food when fasted. Eating food close to waking up often reduces cortisol and adrenalin levels which is why when you don't you will feel more energetic. This may take time to kick in though as your body will need to adjust to not being fed calories from the word 'go' every-day. There are lots of little things like this that make IF good, but I don't think it is the end all be all of approaches either.

As with any nutritional approach it is really about trial and error and finding what suits your lifestyle and body best. Feel free to message me if your interested in more detail about IF, I should be able to help :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • Polparrot
    Polparrot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I can´t get my head around this. Whatever works for you I s´pose but I can´t see how it´s healthy. I´m sure someone will bite my head off for saying that but it just seems nuts to me
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sorry but I can´t get my head around this. Whatever works for you I s´pose but I can´t see how it´s healthy. I´m sure someone will bite my head off for saying that but it just seems nuts to me

For starters, do you have any idea what Intermittent Fasting is?
  • Z3NN4
    Z3NN4 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a great approach and works really well with a super busy life because you don't have to stress about getting your meals at 'X' time. I use it because I work full time and the food provided at work is terrible. I can also offer you some info as to why you feel so good in the morning; it's because naturally (via evolution) we have higher cortisol and adrenalin in the morning. This is associated with the times when we were hunter gatherers and we didn't have food stores so we would need energy to go and either gather or hunt for food when fasted. Eating food close to waking up often reduces cortisol and adrenalin levels which is why when you don't you will feel more energetic. This may take time to kick in though as your body will need to adjust to not being fed calories from the word 'go' every-day. There are lots of little things like this that make IF good, but I don't think it is the end all be all of approaches either.

As with any nutritional approach it is really about trial and error and finding what suits your lifestyle and body best. Feel free to message me if your interested in more detail about IF, I should be able to help :)

That was all very helpful, thank you. I particularly appreciate the explanation about the feeling better in the morning. That makes a lot of sense. The sources I've read up on suggest doing is a few times a week rather than daily, but I actually feel kind of gross and bloaty on days that I don't wait until the afternoon to break my fast.

As for IF not being the end-all solution, I agree. I was actually hoping that I would have some people who it didn't work out for post in response.
  • Z3NN4
    Options

It sounded crazy to me at first, also. Especially considering that I had always attributed my size in high school to the fact that I wouldn't eat all day and then would be so hungry when I got home that I over ate. I was largely inactive, though, where now I am much more active. You do eat, by the way, it is just all in a small period of your day usually organized around your workout schedule. There's more of a trick to it than that, of course, but that is the gist.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Interesting... Bumping again.

By IF are you talking the 500-600 cal twice or three times a week? Or the not eating until 11 ish and eat all calories in 8 hours? I have seen both referred to as IF.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

That was all very helpful, thank you. I particularly appreciate the explanation about the feeling better in the morning. That makes a lot of sense. The sources I've read up on suggest doing is a few times a week rather than daily, but I actually feel kind of gross and bloaty on days that I don't wait until the afternoon to break my fast.

As for IF not being the end-all solution, I agree. I was actually hoping that I would have some people who it didn't work out for post in response.

I think you might be combining two different schools of thought on IF.

Leangains (www.leangains.com): IF daily (i.e. fast from 9PM-1PM, eat 1M-9PM would be a 16-8 fast (16 hours fasted, 8 hours eating), working out prior to feeding. I IF this way (in either a 14-10 or 16-8) and I LOOOOVE it. I work out in the mornings/early afternoon before my fast is broken and I FEEL better and perform better in the gym. AND, I'm exclusively breastfeeding nmy 5 month old and have had NO issues with supply or fat content in the breastmilk. Awesome.

*ETA: (my 9PM-1PM fasting scenario is just an example.. you do what work for you)

Eatstopeat: done once or twice a week with fasts 24+ hours (with something like 500kcal intake), a day (dinner-->dinner). Yeah this is a pretty basic synopsis because I'm not versed on it and will leave it to those with more experience/knowledge to elaborate.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM ALL FOR IT! WORKS FOR ME!, there is a group here on it, you in it???
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    Interesting... Bumping again.

By IF are you talking the 500-600 cal twice or three times a week? Or the not eating until 11 ish and eat all calories in 8 hours? I have seen both referred to as IF.

OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation! IF is not a diet, it doesn't tell you what to eat or how much, All IF tells you to do is choose a period of between 16-20 Hours where you don't eat. Then during the remaining hours (4-8) you consume your normal macro goals. Basically you have a 'fasted' period and a 'fed period'. As to its origins, it's earlier forms were conceived in books like "The Warrior Diet" and a lot of it's percieved or theoretical benefit harps back to times when we did not have constant food supplies. It works to use our bodies evolutionary mechanics to our advantage by stimulating the fasted and fed states in strategic 24 hour periods. I am not claiming any of this as true fact nor overly endorsing it. I do it on and off when it suits me and it has been a positive tool for me, but I am simply saying this to clarify what it is.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yeh i love starving myself then stuffing my face!
  • Z3NN4
    Options

I think you might be combining two different schools of thought on IF.

Leangains (www.leangains.com): IF daily (i.e. fast from 9PM-1PM, eat 1M-9PM would be a 16-8 fast (16 hours fasted, 8 hours eating), working out prior to feeding. I IF this way (in either a 14-10 or 16-8) and I LOOOOVE it. I work out in the mornings/early afternoon before my fast is broken and I FEEL better and perform better in the gym.

*ETA: (my 9PM-1PM fasting scenario is just an example.. you do what work for you)

Eatstopeat: done once or twice a week with fasts 24+ hours (with something like 500kcal intake), a day (dinner-->dinner). Yeah this is a pretty basic synopsis because I'm not versed on it and will leave it to those with more experience/knowledge to elaborate.

Oh wow, thank you. I have only heard of Leangains. I always do a 16 hour fast and low impact in the morning (yoga/pilates) and then more intense cardio and strength training in between 2 pretty big meals. I love it too. I used to really struggle with late-night snacking and now I hardly ever even think about it.
  • Polparrot
    Polparrot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do know about IF. I actually looked into it but as I said whatever works for you and I know this wouldn´t do it for me. I´m not trying to start an argument about it, I just don´t agree. It´s taken me a long time to find what works for me, and honestly i´ve tried all sorts of diets, fads, right way, wrong way. Interesting subject and many opinions i´m sure
  • SideSteel
    Options
    OH GOD! Eating just 500-600 cals a few times a week is not IF, that's plain starvation!

Actually, it is just another method of Intermittent Fasting. It's just not the leangains approach. Done correctly, just like leangains, it's not starvation. You're still taking in adequate nutrients and adequate total cals and macros over the course of a week.
  • Z3NN4
    Options
    I AM ALL FOR IT! WORKS FOR ME!, there is a group here on it, you in it???

Thank you for sharing. I am not, I will get on that, thank you. (=
  • minsooky
    Options
    I don't see how skipping breakfast is "unhealthy."
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Yeah I do know about IF. I actually looked into it but as I said whatever works for you and I know this wouldn´t do it for me. I´m not trying to start an argument about it, I just don´t agree. It´s taken me a long time to find what works for me, and honestly i´ve tried all sorts of diets, fads, right way, wrong way. Interesting subject and many opinions i´m sure

Sure, I can totally get that it might not work for you, but as to your concerns about it being unhealthy, it's no different than any other meal schedule in that, specifically, you are still required to adequately nourish yourself over time, just as you would eating 4 or 6 meals per day or whatever the case may be. Intermitting Fasting is just a different eating schedule.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like it, I'm much less hungry when I don't eat than when I do.

Unfortunately, I did have hormonal side effects at first (lost period). It came back though, so I'm calling it fine.

I'm doing LG style... loosely, I pretty much just eat when I get hungry. It's almost never before 12 and sometimes not until 3 or 4, then I do late night work outs and eat after that. So I generally stop around 8-11.