How do u cook ur sweet potatoes?

Options
benandgillsmom
benandgillsmom Posts: 15 Member
Just bought a bag of sweet potatoes and have no idea how to go about cooking them? How do you cook urs? Idea's please :)

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Wash them, cut off the two ends and bake them like jacket potatoes.
  • lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was in a hurry last night so I poked it with a fork and stuck it in the microwave for 5 mins! Scooped the potatoes out and added some margarine, yum!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I like mine simple just bake them! Preheat oven to 400 degrees, wash potatoes, poke them all over with a fork, put right in the oven on the rack, take out about 45 minutes later (or until soft), and you have a delish dinner/side dish!
  • dalphaneenee
    Options
    I bake them in the microwave just like russet potatoes. then when cool break it into serving size and put them in individual tupperware for quick snacks. I like to sprinkle with a cinnamon mixture (no sugar) and sometime use a bit of spray butter. This and a protein shake is one of my favorite snacks.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I wash them
    Slice them up ino thick fry like shape
    Toss them in a little EVOO and spices like sea salt, pepper, and chili powder
    then I bake them for 25-30 mins 400 degrees or untill they are done as I like

YUM
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I peel mine, chop them up into chunks with my other veggies and steam them. They are sooo good roasted but a little heavier on the calories ;)
  • iamdawson
    iamdawson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries are awesome and so easy- peel the potatoes slice up like french fries and toss in a little bit of olive oil and some kind of seasoning- my favorite is definetly cayenne pepper for a little kick- bake them like you would french fries and enjoy- also really kid friendly
  • rickerred12
    Options
    peel, cut into thin strips, put into a frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil, dash of sea salt and pepper.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    They also make delicious hash browns! Just peel them, grate them with a cheese grater, and cook them like regular hash browns!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I'm looking for answers to this, to.

So far the only sweet potatoes I use are ones that are already chopped up and fire broiled (but nothing added) from the freezer section. I lay them on a pan covered with parchment paper, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and crushed garlic, and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes (or until they look right). The package says 6-8 minutes, but I hate soggy sweet potatoes!
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wash and then wrap in tin foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hr or until soft enough to poke a fork through.
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just wash, poke with holes, and bake in the microwave - put in a zip lock bag (mostly closed, but not all the way) and cook on high for around 4 minutes a side depending on the size of the potato/how many potatoes (go until they are soft, but not too soft). Then I cut it open, mush the insides a bit, and put a little butter and salt on it. SOOOO yum.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I like mine simple just bake them! Preheat oven to 400 degrees, wash potatoes, poke them all over with a fork, put right in the oven on the rack, take out about 45 minutes later (or until soft), and you have a delish dinner/side dish!
    Unlike regular white potatoes, you don't need to poke them all over with a fork. And you shouldn't. The natural sugars will leak out. The ends of a sweet potato are different and will provide enough ventilation (lack of a better word) to prevent them from exploding. You can however cut off a tiny bit of the ends if you wish.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wash them
    Slice them up ino thick fry like shape
    Toss them in a little EVOO and spices like sea salt, pepper, and chili powder
    then I bake them for 25-30 mins 400 degrees or untill they are done as I like

YUM

This! Except I cube mine up instead of slicing like fries. Sometimes I mix them with cubed parsnips and/or russet potatoes. They make an awesome side dish!
  • benandgillsmom
    benandgillsmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm gonna be trying one of these methods tonight! I appreciate the help :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just bought a bag of sweet potatoes and have no idea how to go about cooking them? How do you cook urs? Idea's please :)

Sweet potato pie!

Or anything that you would make with a white potato.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html

I use a 1/4 cup of margarine, 2 tsp of honey, and cut out the salt completely, and they're DELICIOUS!!!! Taste like pumpkin pie :) Now I'm going to have to make them! It's been too long! haha
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Preheat the oven to 200c Cut them in wedges shape, and then drizzle them in olive oil and paprika and herbs :)