Recumbant bike question

Options
I am considering buying a recumbant bike for a couple different reasons:

1. My husband has planter fasciitus and is most likely going to be having surgery within the next few weeks.Biking is the only exercise the physician has approved him for.

2. I am not an avid runner. but when I do run, I prefer to do it outdoors, and exercise during the winter months is going to be difficult for me, because I think I will "find" a reason to not run because of the temperature. Besides, I hate breathing in that cold air, and my chest hurting.

We have a very nice treadmill, but my shins hurt like crazy on it. Luckily, I have access to a nice weight room at work, but sometimes I can't get there over the lunch hour.

So, for those of you with experience with recumbant bikes . . . Do you like it? Do you feel you get a decent cardio workout with it?
Can you suggest something for me to start with that won't break the budget? I've googled them and found many styles - and the prices really range a lot. I'd like to have a heart rate option, distance, and calories burned.

Thanks!

Replies

• Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one from K Mart earlier this year. I get the workout I make of it. 30 mins twice a day with the tension fairly high. Can read/ side table computer and/or TV for the boring time. It works. Lost 41 lbs with MFP and primarily this machine.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice Schwin one. When I first started using it, I REALLY felt it in my butt! I love that it's so quiet I have it in my living room and watch TV while I'm doing it. I can adjust the difficulty, etc. For me, it's a great alternative to running when it's not so desirable outside. It definately works different muscles, but I like it. The only problem I have is that my feet tend to go numb while using it....
  • SABollman
    SABollman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one from Walmart, and am very anxious to start using it. I have had issues with plantar fascitis, I feel for him.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I think it will get quite a bit of use between the both of us, especially for me in the winter.

I think i am going to try one from Walmart also. Price seems right.
    Hope hubby doesnt mind putting it together! :)
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use mine in combination with running, and love it. I bought it off Craigslist of all places, in nearly new condition for about $100. I'd check there too if you aren't averse to a nice used machine.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would try one out at a gym or rent one first. I have had back surgery and believed a recumbent model would be better. I used a family member's and foolishly ignored some light tingling. My back seized up, which had never happened before. It. took me months to recover.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Thanks!
    I think it will get quite a bit of use between the both of us, especially for me in the winter.

I think i am going to try one from Walmart also. Price seems right.
    Hope hubby doesnt mind putting it together! :)

Check with Sears -

the Athletic Training Facility I work at purchased ours there - higher quality than those at Wal-Mart. Also with this, someone came to assemble it. In some cases, self-assembly can negate a warranty. I would check that before you let your husband loose on this project!
  • lightyeare
    Options
    We bought a Gold's Gym Cycle Trainer 390R from Wal-mart 2 weeks ago. Havent had any problems with it so far and my wife and I use it as well as my 2 pre-teen/teen kids. It's got preset aerobic and performance workouts as well as an 8-week weight-loss program. The weight-loss program starts very easy but the aerobic and performance settings start at a moderate level and go from there.

The one negative is that it's got one of these displays that alternately flashes the different metrics. So if you wanted to do interval training it would be a little frustrating because the time isn't constantly displayed but alternates with other metrics.

They are easy to put together.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    They are awesome. Great for you knees. Cardio workouts are great depending on pace and time. I'm sure others have detailed responses but I wanted to chime in.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    They are awesome. Great for you knees. Cardio workouts are great depending on pace and time. I'm sure others have detailed responses but I wanted to chime in.

This is great to hear, becuase my husband has had 2 knee surgeries due to softball injuries back over 10 years ago.
    Thanks !