I live in Chicago, WInter sucks, I need help.

Options
I wish I could ride my bike more, over the summer I burned a ton of calories daily from riding. However, Winter is up ahead, and the challenge begins (I still ride the bike, but only a mile a day at best).

I need to figure out a way of burning calories at home. I've already moved stuff to the basement to burn some calories and Tuesday I moved a couch into my apartment, but it's not enough. I need something that lasts. I'm so burnt out on P90x and stuff like that, I want a fun way of burning calories at home, or just tips if anything. I figured MFP would have some new ideas. I live alone in a fairly large apartment. Give me some tips, yo!

Maybe time trials on cleaning? Yes? No? Damn it.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out exercise DVDs from your local library. Lots to choose from so you never get bored and it's FREE!

I always keep 4-5 on hand and switch them out every 1-2 weeks.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    By some winter clothing, and go ride.

I live in the suburbs of chicago, I was out running today... Just gotta layer up!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston. Get some proper clothing and start running. If properly dressed the clothing is not an issue at all.
  • NerdyBirdy247
    Options
    I live in the UK at least 50 weeks of the year suck!! Ha Ha Have you tried a BeachBody Programme? They are really good and you can do them from home, try googling it and looking on youtube tere are a whole range of them for your specific targets xx

Sorry just saw our bored of p90x lol my post is pointless :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and get out there and run or walk along the lake. Do you know how many people are out there, all winter long?
    There are lots of little dumbbell type workouts you can do inside too. They're different from P90X because they don't use a tape. Try the Men's Health Spartacus workout, for example.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I live in a country-ish suburb of Milwaukee, WI. I understand your pain. I went out on a walk today though, just wore an extra layer and a hat. I will probably be outside every day this winter unless there's a serious blizzard going on. Rake leaves, shovel snow, bundle up and get out there!
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's time for a bike trainer :) Or gear up for cyclocross season - those guys are insane, and I plan on joining next season, after I buy a CX bike and some cold weather gear.

I've also found the spinning classes at my gym are fun and, so long as you pick a big gear, a great workout that is mostly compatible with cycling.

There's always cross training, too - hit the pool and some weights over the winter, some running in spring, and, bam, triathlon time.
  • MikeKillroad
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You could try out TRX training... burns calories and gives ya a kick butt bod =)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    What about one of those racks that you can mount your own bike on and turn it into a stationery bike and ride in your apartment?

Do you have an Xbox or a PS3 or Wii? Some of them have great "games" that are a really good workout - heck, they even have actual workout programs like Zumba etc