First post, Hi

Options
Just restarted this thing.

34yo guy with a family. Sedentary lifestyle. 5'8' weighing 183lbs. I used to be around 165lbs, but as you get older the metabolism just isn't the same.

I work in the medical field and recently had to upgrade my scrub size. My plan is to loose about 20 lbs through strength training, cardio and diet.

If I can get to be a solid/muscular 165lbs I will be very happy. Not really looking to be 135lbs like I was in high school or anything.

For strength training I like to do heavy compound lifts that workout multiple muscle groups. You know like squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, and bent over row. Also add in pull-ups, dips and core exercises.

Cario is with the eliptical and/or brisk walk on treadmill.

For now I'm using diet setting to loose 2lbs per week. I think I will change this to 1lb per week very soon. My daily net calorie alotment is 1200 cal, which is pretty small. I have been doing this for 4 days and have lost 3lbs.

Thats me and my first post on here.

Replies

• Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Welcome!

Your "diet" (eating lifestyle, really) is your #1 goal, my friend. All the exercises in the world are useless without having your diet in check. 1200 calories a day is a dangerous crash diet to be honest...too low! You won't be able to maintain that for long and it's neither healthy or a productive way to build muscle. 1500/day for you would be an extremely low amount...1200/day is ridiculous.
  • jproett
    jproett Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, especially since I have lost some weight way faster than I expected (3lbs in 4 days). I am eating around 1500-1600 cal anyway, but when you take into account 30 min cardio and 30 strength training, the net cal intake is 1200.

If I change to 1500 cal diet then I will be eating about 1900 cal taking into account exercise.
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    I agree with the compound lifting as a good basis, but you need to mix it up with free weights as well. Also, try doing some HIIT (interval training) instead of 30 min walks which honestly aren't doing much for you.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-hiit.html
  • Dpade1337
    Options
    They say that LIIT can be just as effective as HIIT just depending on your body and what you attempting to do. I used to walk an hour 4 days a week and that was enough for me, but this is my 2nd time trying to lose and it just isn't happening with walking these days..