13.1 Not a runner and back surgery

Options
So I've been toying with the idea of running a half marathon. I am not a big runner though I did just complete the Color me Rad 5k in October at 34:45, which for me is great. In May, I had my L5 disk removed, well not all of it, but a big part of it, almost needed a fusion (I'm 26 with an old person's body lol. I wish I was joking but I've had a doctor tell me my body is aged older than what it is) . Of course I know to ask my doctor and I'll probably have to get an MRI to make sure my disk is stable enough to do it, but I was wondering if there was anyone on here who has completed a half with anything similar to this and if anyone has ever took the big blunge into 5k straight to 13.1.

Replies

• wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't have back issues, but my first ever race was a 20K (12.4 miles)...no 5ks for me! Once your dr oks you for it, I'd suggest finding one with a generous time limit. The ones associated with full marathons tend to be open for 5 hours or more. Then just listen to your body and make it your goal to finish, not necessarily to finish fast. Good luck!
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i've had three back surgeries.

my knees prevent me from running. But, if I were to want to run, I would want to make sure my core was as strong as it could be (which, for me, it currently isn't). So, that is my suggestion to you.... get your core as strong as you can. This means a LOT more than just doing situps.

As you noted, for sure get a Dr's opinion.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I went straight from C25K, did a 5K as a reward and then went straight into half marathon training. I ran my first half marathon last year in Columbus and it was a blast. It's totally do-able, if you train right. Of course, I've never had back issues. Make sure the dr. thinks it's ok first, but it's waaay possible to transition from 5K to 13.1.