Help with calorie intake

Options
So i am not meeting my calorie intake, everyday i am below somewhere between 200- 600 calories. . will this hurt me to where i wont lose weight? Ihave lost 5lbs in a week, I wokout everyday 5 days a week i workout 2x a day and 2 days i workout 1x a day, So i am getting in a 7day workout. Any suggestions?

Replies

16097 Posts: 10
    Options
    The importance of meeting your recommended caloric intake everyday cannot be stressed enough. If your body does not get the calories it needs (especially when exercising as much as you are), it will start shutting down because it will feel--and be--starved. Once this happens, your metabolism will drop and your body will do everything possible to hold on to every ounce of weight it has.
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you constantly have issues meeting your caloric intake, switch some of your food back to the regular versions. For instance, eat regular yogurt instead of low fat or fat free.
  • niccup
    niccup Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi! I seem to be under about the same amount as you each day. Ive heard that we must eat all of our cals or else it could effect our weight loss. I feel like im eating a lot even with the cal deficit. Im not hungry and i still have lots of energy to do my daily activities. So............. I guess my point is that i think we still will lose our weight. If im wrong than I guess ill find out but so far so good. If i was in starvation mode than i feel like my body would feel deprived. If anyone knows different, please feel free to let us know. I have often wondered the same thing that nina is wondering.:bigsmile:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    In my many failed attempts at weight loss, I have looked at/ joined many calorie counting sites. I like this one the best btw! On every site, there are people who play with the science thinking that fewer always equals better in calorie numbers. For some reason, this site seems to have even more with that mindset. I think most people know that 1200 is the caloric minimum for a female, and so automatically put themselves at this level. I'm not saying that you put yourself at 1200, but this applies to anyone eating below what they should. Think of your body like a car. Depending on the size of the car, a full tank of gas will be different (my chevy malibu is full at 12 gal.) No matter what, you need at least 1 gal. to drive the car. Now that will get you somewhere, but your car won't move very far or well. You need to put more gas in the car and more fuel in your body! That is probably the number one thing that is said on this site! Eat more to lose weight!

Good luck!
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    girlsrun is right. if you want to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to eat. If you always are eating less than you should, you will just be wasting your time because once you get to your 'goal' weight and if you start eating like you did before, you'll gain it all back and then some faster than you think.
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am sometimes off a little bit, not sure that a hundred or two calories will hurt one. But I would think that 6 or 7 hundred will make a difference.

One thing I did was use the calories it says on my bike, the calories listed for a stationary bike were way higher. I also eat nuts as snacks and do more snacking. I saw on another post to do things like drink 2% milk instead of nonfat, regular sour cream instead of non-fat.... I kind of like having the extra calories - I know I am staying within my guidelines but still get to feel satisfied.

Have you seen these posts? One is about eating your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again