Help for gym-phobia!!!!

Options
I met with a personal trainer today to get a list of machines I should be using, and how to use them. The only other people using the machines were 20-year-old buff people. No other over 40 fatty to be seen!

Now, I have fairly good self esteem, and I realize I probably didn't even hit their radar as they were working out. However, does anyone else get gym-phobia? Does it go away?

Replies

• lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's crazy because I usually see more unhealthy looking people, then again I do live in Mississippi :tongue:

But seriously, don't even pay attention to the people around you... just think one day you'll be one of those people and some new person will look at you and feel the same.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It's just the opposite at my gym...the young, thin ones are lifting weights and the older ladies, like me, are using the machines. :)
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable when I get the machines down. Or, maybe I should just move to Mississippi!
  • joywo
    joywo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just GET 'ER DONE! People will secretly be admiring you, not admonishing you. Attitude is everything!
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It will take time for you to get comfortable with it! A few months ago I finally got the nerve up to move into the "boys" part of the gym haha! Just today I did my squats in a squat rack for the second time EVER! I'm not going to lie, I did a few drive bys and waited for other people to clear out before I went in. Keep in mind that I'm a 24 year old MARINE who is in pretty good shape. It happens to everyone - especially women! I think a lot of the other people in the gym are really focused on themselves anyway. Just make your goal to not miss one work out for an entire week! Do everything your PT told you and you'll begin to feel more comfortable. :)
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    guys working out at the gym could care less about other guys appearances and what they are doing, unless they play for the same team.
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The gym phobia DOES get better!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Make yourself do it....
    I was super shy at first, I didnt want anyone to see me looking stupid or something
    But after trying each thing a few times....I stopped caring....just got into my "zone"
  • shitballs666
    Options
    god yes, i'm terrified of gyms. :(
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to go, it'll get easier after the first couple of times. It's totally worth it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I always admire people that look like they're trying to improve themselves. In fact, I really admire the random people that know little about exercising and come in their jeans to start out with. They want to be healthy! Just seeing them makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and I'm so happy for them.