Help with Runner's Knee

Options
Hi, I am currently training to run in a 10k race in April and I have recently developed the dreaded runner's knee. I seen to get this every time I start a running routine. I believe that it is due to over pronating and I am going to go to a running specialty store next week to get shoes to help with that. My question is how long will it take to heal and what are the best methods to speed that process? Also what are some ways to prevent it? I stretch before and after every run and am currently doing some strength training for my legs. Thanks.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery about 3 years ago and since then, I've always had a weak knee. Since I've been doing some heavy strength training, the pain has gone completely. I run a lot now and I've been wearing Brooks lately. They are INCREDIBLE. I would recommend trying a pair on if you can.
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    They've got some really good tips at marathonrookie.com on injuries,training, etc.
    Good luck with your 10k :0)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ice massages, and some aleeve!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I had runner's knee a few years ago. I went to an orthopedic surgeon & had xrays, etc. I basically caught it early enough to fix it w/physical therapy. Runners knee is basically the strong muscles of the outer part of your leg are pulling your kneecap over to the side. Physical therapy will correct it by helping you to develop the muscles running along the inner part of your thigh/kneecap. This is in laymans terms. Maybe someone w/more technical info can chime in as well. Maybe there are exercises online you can find. The ones my therapist gave me to do were very basic & I felt 100% after just a few weeks. Its been a few years & I still feel fine. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    She's talking about patellofemoral maltracking issues. The vastus medialis (the inside quad) tends to be not as strong as the vastus lateralis (outside quad mucle) so it pulls the patella out of it's trochlear groove on the femur. You start scrapping off the bottom of the patella which can lead to surgery if it's not taken care of ASAP.